Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flights from Germany. Please Help

sevenfaces
Explorer C

Are there any flights in southwest from Germany to the States? I am a soldier stationed in Wiesbaden Germany and I really don't know how this all really works.

I would like to fly home on evening December 28th or the earliest on 29th and stay until approx. the 17th. And i was wondering if i have to go through some hoops to arrange this or if i would have to take a different airline than layover into a southwest airline to fly into Oakland CA airport.

Please any help would be appreciated. I thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Flights from Germany. Please Help

dfwskier
Aviator A

Morning.

I am sorry to report that Southwest does not fly to Europe.

Your easiest way to do what you want is to fly American, United or Delta (or one of their European partners like Lufthansa, British Air, KLM (and others)), to the states and then connect via the same airline to Oakland. Flying one of those to the US and then switching to Southwest would be a bit more complicated and likely more costly.

You might want to try orbitz.com or travelocity.com to see what flights you might be able to take.

Thanks for your service. Hope it all works out for you. Travel safe.

sevenfaces
Explorer C

Thank you for your help.

I will check out those websites and see what i can come up with! This is amazing and so helpful i appreciate it!

Any other replys or information you have for me would be great! Have a good day otherwise!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sevenfaces wrote:

Thank you for your help.

I will check out those websites and see what i can come up with! This is amazing and so helpful i appreciate it!

Any other replys or information you have for me would be great! Have a good day otherwise!

If you were going to change airlines to Southwest once you get stateside, do it at the same airport if you can so that you only have to re-check your luggage, which could be also the same time when you go through customs.

The obstacle will be to find the airport that has both Southwest and your Germany flights - maybe Newark, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore as opportunities? Without digging too much futher I'd say look hard at Newark. 

Here's the route map for Oakland with all of the available direct connections (all airlines):

https://www.oaklandairport.com/airlines/route-map/

Edit: I don't see any direct flights to Germany, but surely there will be some potential connecting flights. 

The tip would be that a couple of popular international airports don't connect with Southwest - for Chicago the international traffic is through O'Hare while Southwest uses Midway. In NYC the international traffic goes through JFK and Newark while Southwest uses Laguardia and Newark - so don't book from Germany to O'Hare or JFK in order to transfer to Southwest flights - they aren't at the same airport.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.