Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flights from Punta Cana

gullyx2
Explorer C

We are planning to travel from Omaha to Punta Cana in April.  There are flights throughout the month going to the Dominican Republic, but no return flights. Will additional flights be scheduled soon? If not, what do they do with the empty airplanes?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Flights from Punta Cana

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

It's an issue with the timing of the return flights, you won't be able to book a single reservation for flights from Punta Cana to Omaha. Flights from Punta Cana are routing through Chicago (because Omaha has non-stop service to Chicago) and the earliest arrival into Chicago is too late to catch a flight to Omaha. Southwest won't let you make a reservation for flights that require an overnight stay, that's why you aren't seeing any return flights. You would need to purchase a Punta Cana to Chicago flight, then also purchase a Chicago to Omaha flight the next day, and book a hotel room in Chicago for the overnight. 

gullyx2
Explorer C

So it would be more cost effective to fly a different airline and pay for luggage.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

It will put some stress onto yourself, but you can also look at booking separate trips if you can get to a different airport from Punta Cana - the choices on the current route map are MDW, ATL, FLL, and BWI...when I click the map for non-stops to OMA I only see MDW there out of these choices.

So - all of these are potentially not the best to get back to Omaha...it seems like MDW would have been the best choice for Punta Cana.

There are some select service hotels with shuttle service around MDW although I've never tried these since I live here....HGI, Hamptonn, some independent operators...depending what you'll pay for luggage it might be close.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.