Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying from ATL to PUJ

RonLove3
Explorer C

I am flying from Atlanta to Punta Cana. This is my first international flight. Any tips or things I should be aware of? I just read that I will have to claim bags on a layover. Is this true? What about snacks and drinks? Can I bring these on an international flight with a layover in the US?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flying from ATL to PUJ

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I am making an assumption here based on my past travels, but I would assume that when you check your bags, they will be checked directly to Punta Cana; check with the agent when you check your bag. On the way back may be different.  It is common to have to claim bags and go through customs when you come off your flight that gets you back in the US and then re-check for your connecting flight back to Atlanta.  

As far as food and drinks, you can bring things on board regardless of the destination.  Keep in mind that you will not be able to bring liquids (beyond small toiletries) through security.

Hope that helps!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Bags will be checked through on the way to Punta Cana, but whenever you come back to the United States from an international destination you will need to get your bags and clear customs at your first stop in the US. After exiting customs you'll recheck your bags and proceed to the next leg of your trip. The exception is if you are coming from a preclearance location where customs clearance is done before you depart the international location. Punta Cana is not a preclearance location.

Food can be taken on board, but plan on eating or disposing of everything that isn't in a sealed package before getting off the plane in a different country. Transporting perishables (fruits, vegetables, etc) between countries is a big no no.

If you have time before your trip I strongly recommend obtaining Global Entry from US Customs, it definitely speeds up the customs process when returning to the US and includes TSA PreCheck for travel within the US. 

Enjoy your trip!

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

RonLove3
Explorer C

How does the customs process work?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Food can be taken on board, but plan on eating or disposing of everything that isn't in a sealed package before getting off the plane in a different country. 

Especially any fruits or meats! You can't bring back any apples or bananas or other fruit or vegetables that you got at the resort hotel into the USA when you come back, and having these on you when you come through customs will cause you a delay if they are detected. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.