Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LAX to Liberia and San Jose Costa Rica limited to non-existent this summer?

MattRuscigno
Explorer C

Using the low fare calendar, it appears that flights from LAX to Liberia stop after May. Return flights are available, but not outgoing. Anyone know why? For San Jose they become sparse in the summer as well.

Is something up or are the flights seasonal?

Thanks for any insight.

18 REPLIES 18

Re: LAX to Liberia and San Jose Costa Rica limited to non-existent this summer?

MattRuscigno
Explorer C

Anyone?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @MattRuscigno,

It's a difficult decision to make significant changes to a market's flight schedule, as we know that no matter which routes we alter, some Customers may be inconvenienced. The route between LAX and LIR is offered seasonally. To see options for LAX / SJO during the summer months, use our Flight Schedule tool here, and click on the weekly view. 

I hope you'll take heart in knowing that we are constantly reevaluating our flight schedules, and hope we can still meet your travel needs.

MattRuscigno
Explorer C

Thank you for the response! Is there a known more specific schedule? As in 'more flights Nov-March and fewer April-Oct or something like that? thank you!

Is this just Costa Rica or other Central American / Carribean destinations?

LindseyD

Hi @MattRuscigno,

Of course, happy to help! LIR is a fantastic destination, and it remains available to our network via HOU daily year round, and BWI on a seasonal, weekend-only basis.

fly
Explorer C

Isn't the airport abbreviation for San Jose International, SJO?
I just booked a round trip there for August 2017. Had to do some shifting to get the cheapest.

See you there!

LindseyD

Hi @fly,

Yes! Typo - we also fly to San Jose, California, which is SJC. I've corrected it in the post. 

cgstapp
Explorer C

Why can't we book any flights from California to Costa Rica?  There is nothing after May 27, 2017.  I was told I need to book seperate flights, one to Houston and then to Costa Rica?  Does not make sense!  Please SWA schedule California city pairs to Costa Rica!

LindseyD

Hi @cgstapp,

Schedule changes are tough calls, as we know that they will inevitably change/remove routes that some of our Customers use regularly. That said, booking point-to-point, as you mentioned, is always an option. If you are having trouble finding a route, one of our Customer Support and Services Representatives will be happy to help you create a booking. You can reach them at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA. 

cgstapp
Explorer C

Unfortunately point-to-point adds about $300 to the flight, plus you can't get to Houston in time to catch the flight unless you leave the day before.  I tried the customer service route without any success.  The customer service reps were the ones to suggest the point-to point. I suggest you update your interactive route map.  It shows you can fly from SMF (via LAX) to LIR... not true.