Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Name mismatch between ticket and passport (maiden/married names)

AZ1
Explorer A

Hello,

I'm traveling to Cancun, Mexico from San Jose, CA for a vacation.

My Southwest ticket has my married name, but my passport has my maiden name.

My US drivers license and permanent resident card match the name on my ticket.

I have a legal USA marriage certificate reflecting the name change.

I've checked with TSA and they don't need the passport - they will accept my CA drivers license/permanent resident card for travel.

I've checked with US Customs - they will accept my passport and permanent resident card along with a marriage certificate for re-entry into the US.

My concern is will Southwest Airlines accept all of the above legal documents with my legal marriage certificate during check-in (at San Jose and Cancun) and allow me to fly?

Please help.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Name mismatch between ticket and passport (maiden/married names)

Explorer C

Tag me when you get an answer please!!! I have the same problem. 

Mexico would not give me a passport with my married last name because I got divoced, but I kept the last name. 

AZ1
Explorer A

Sure, will do... and likewise.

Thanks.

AZ1
Explorer A
Solution

Hello,

In case this helps anyone....

Here's an update:

I completed my trip to Cancun with no problems from Southwest, TSA, or US Immgiration.

I was told to call the Southwest Rapid Rewards number and explain my situation to them

Rapid Rewards Customer Service: 1-800-445-5764.

Rapid rewards informed me that since it is too late to change my ticket name from their side, the manager at the airport should be able to change the name on my ticket and also keep the companion pass ticket (since my husband was traveling as my companion) unaffected and valid for travel.

Day of the flight:

SJC to CUN

I got to the airport an hour earlier than when you would normally arrive for an international flight. I explained my situation to the SWA airport manager. He immediately began the process to change my ticket last name to match my passport last name. I asked him to do so for the return flight from Cancun as well (since I had booked it as a separate reservation number).

My ticket name now matched my passport name and I had no trouble with TSA or even US Immigration upon return since my ticket and passport had my maiden name, and my green card and drivers license had my married name, and I had the original marriage certificate to show the name change (they never asked for the marriage certificate but it's safe to carry it along).

The only thing was that this flight or it's points would not reflect on my SWA account due to name mismtach. The SWA airport manager told me to call Southwest Customer service once I completed the travel and explain the situation to them. They may ask for scanned proof and will be able to add the points into my SWA account.

Thanks,

AZ

Rositadealcala6
Explorer C

Thank you for sharing, that was great information! I have friends that are in the same situation, I will pass along the info for future reference so travel can be smother. One more reason to travel with Southwest Family. 

AZ1
Explorer A

You're welcome. If your friends have questions about traveling with this situation, feel free to ask me 🙂

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@AZ1,

Thanks for posting! Your information is great and it's easy to follow. Happy traveling, and congratulations on your marriage!