Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SW baggage claim in LAX TBIT

ucRegan
Explorer C

We plan to fly SW to LAX then change to Quantas bound for Perth.   I see that SW arrivals are in TBIT - is that correct?, and is TBIT where our SW baggage will be? 

Thank you for any tips! 

(FYI, We start and end in Sacramento)

4 REPLIES 4

Re: SW baggage claim in LAX TBIT

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest domestic arrivals should be in Terminal 1!  As I understand, only international flights pull into TBIT.  So I would plan on Terminal 1 and then transferring.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

I believe most Southwest arrivals from domestic locations (including Sacramento) will be in Terminal 1 at LAX, but the airport website does say that TBIT may be used in some cases. I would have expected that to be for international arrivals mainly but I'm not sure:

https://www.los-angeles-airport.com/lax-airlines/southwest-airlines

I think you should have a gameplane either way unless someone can confirm the arrival gate of the SMF flights into LAX - in fact if that's a daily route I'd track it a few times in advance of your own flight to see if they are typically landing that route at T1 or TBIT.

For instance one in the air right now from SMF goes to Terminal 1:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA4845/history/20190119/2245Z/KSMF/KLAX

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ucRegan
Explorer C

Thank you both for your helpful replies.  It looks like I was misunderstanding the statement on the LAX website  "*Southwest international passengers check in at Terminal 1 where flights depart; arrivals at Terminal B" means that only international SW arrivals are at TBIT.

We have booked SW with +3 hours at LAX both ways. 

Best regards and happy travels!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ucRegan wrote:

We have booked SW with +3 hours at LAX both ways. 

That sounds great - the worst case then will be that you have some extra time.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.