Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

WHY SO EXPENSIVE?????????????????

t4pierce
Explorer C

My family and I travel to Jamaica every summer.  This year....prices are almost double.  People say, "oh, check back 6-8 weeks out".  UH NO....we book our flights in march, and travel in July every time.  Usually go for under 400 a ticket, round trip;  this year, 600-700 dollars a ticket...and....only outbound flights going out of jamaica are on saturday and sundays????????????  WHAT THE HECK, MAN??????   We have been long time, loyal, southwest customers.   Their price hikes this year...are astronomical!!  They aren't alone, either.  Every airline is through the roof this year, and most flights we find, are day-plus layovers coming back into the country.  Gas is super cheap right now too.  Anyone have some insight or an answer for this crap?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: WHY SO EXPENSIVE?????????????????

stefanieSAN
Explorer C

What airport do you travel from?????

uygi
Explorer C

Airline seats are based on demand and competition, not cost.  Maybe planes to Jamaica are filling up nicely and airlines are confident they'll sell their seats, so they're not offering a deal?

Pricing in a free market (more or less) economy.

Donna56
Explorer C

I am wondering the same thing.  I have been a rapid rewards member for a long time.  Its time to take our kids and grandkids to Disney again.  The flights from Providence to Orlando are so expensive.  

In addition we are going on a cruise in November.  I waited for the morning they opened up the November dates and was shocked to see it would cost over 400.00 per person.

I am really disappointed in Southwest.  Perhaps its time to get a different reward card.  

There are 7 of us going to Disney.  Southwest is going to loose out on several dollars.

Frontier Airlines is going to start to fly out of Providence one week before we leave for Disney.  I know its a no frills airline but the savings is almost 900.00.

Very disappointed!!!!

Stg
Explorer C

Even holding 2 companion passes, it was hundreds of dollars cheaper for our family of 5 to travel from Detroit to Orlando on Frontier this past May!

Esteban
Explorer A

Check other destinations? I know SJU is pretty affordability priced on SW and so are Costa Rica flights... I mean the bottom line is that it's all about supply and demand, airlines will charge as much as the market will bear.

Krispyk
Explorer C

I would also try other days of the week.  Every once in a while there is a weirdly cheap fare that only appears for one day.  I’m sorry, but I hate it when people say “Airlines will charge as much as the market will bear”.  I know that’s true, but it’s not very helpful...  Also, I just realized that this is an older post.  Southwest has a pretty good ticket change policy, and free bags.  The downside is that you don’t have a seat assignment and they don’t track your bags.  Good luck if they lose it, which has happened to me twice.  Also, if they cancel for weather or a mechanical, they don’t cooperate with other airlines, and you would not be able to rebook on someone else...

andreajenkins22
Explorer C

I find the Low Cost Calendar on the SWA website super helpful. In some cases, just shifting your dates by a week or two can make all the difference. But yes, SWA fares are not as low as they once were. I now fly out of Detroit and the nonstops are nonexistent. 😢

jmdardick
Explorer C

I traveled SWA for the last 20 years, and YES, they have rapidly raised their fares regardless of airport.  In fact, I have found other airlines (American, Delta, etc.) to be 30-50% less.  So, even if you have to check a bag, or select a seat with an additional charge, you come out way ahead.  The only drawback is you can't cancel without a significant penalty once you book.  So, if your sure your traveling on a specific date, your almost forced to NOT take Southwest.  As for why they have raised their fares significantly over the last few years, in many cases almost doubling them?  My guess is because people are willing to pay the higher fee, and have become so used to flying SWA they don't even look at alternatives.  If your SWA, why not charge more if people are willing to pay more, even if other airlines are significantly less expensive?

Bojangles10
Explorer C

Im totally with you! We go to Jamaica every year, and I book my flights usually 5 months ahead. This year they are over $900 per person BWI MBJ, we usually pay $400, and all the wanna get away flights are all sold out! Will those come back closer to date? We go every year in April. I’m worried this year. Wondering if I should switch airlines. We’ve been loyal SW customers. Got on Air hint to alert me to lower prices. Any other suggestions??