Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What happened to the International Wanna get Away fares for Holiday 2019?

TinyButMighty
Explorer C

Were the International Wanna get Away fares ever loaded on to the SWA site?  I was online at 4:45AM central ready for the 5:00 AM posting time that was communicated to me by multiple SWA agents.  When the fares finally  posted hours later the Wanna Get Away showed sold out for ALL the foreign destinations. I was then told to stand by an SWA agent  because the Wanna Get Away fares were still loading. 24 hours later and they are all still showing sold out. 

What's up SWA? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: What happened to the International Wanna get Away fares for Holiday 2019?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

I just checked FLL / HAV and they are posted, but not for all days. 

The Christmas holiday time period lists no Wanna Get Aways -- probably because the airline thinks it can sell all of it's seats at the higher price. Southwest frequently does this, and then if seats are not selling, drops prices in the future.

You have three options:

1) Wait to see if fares drop

2) Buy the anytime fare and watch. If a lower fare become available, cancel the anytime fare, get a refund, and book the lower fare.

3) Grab an accetpable fare on a competing airline -- if one exists.

Hint: I'd buy two one way tickets instead of a RT as, at least for HAV, Wanna Get Away fares are available for the return flight. 

Re: What happened to the International Wanna get Away fares for Holiday 2019?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Yesterday, I was able to book several trips around Thanksgiving 2019 at WGA prices.

I haven’t looked for the Christmas holidays, but @dfwskier has summed up the options quite nicely. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder