Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Working internationally...problems at the ticket counter

Kyvettemccrae
Explorer C

Has anyone had issues at the ticket counter when travelling to live internationally while working?  I generally do not purchase a return ticket to the US because my return date is undetermined and, this particular time, it seems the representative at the ticket counter was not satisfied to see my Work Visa permitting me to stay for an extended time in the country to which I was travelling for work.  Trying to figure out a way not to have this issue again.  I've only had this issue once, but it almost caused me to miss my flight.  It was pretty stressful.  Any advice on what I can do to avoid this happening again?  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Working internationally...problems at the ticket counter

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

That's interesting as I wouldn't see it as the ticket counter person's responsibility to make sure you had plans to come back to the US, but I guess that's what the process is.  With Southwest's simple change and cancellation policies there are a couple ways around this, depending on what fare type you purchased and what your payment method was.  It all boils down to booking a "fake" return flight for some random date and then canceling it after completing the outbound leg.

-If you are using RR points to book the trip or have enough points to book a return flight with RR points, go ahead and book at least the return flight with points.  Then after you complete the first leg of the trip, cancel the remaining portion of the trip.  Your RR points will be immediately refunded to you and then you can book your return when/how you want.

-If you purchase Business Select or Anytime fares, again, book as a roundtrip, fly the first leg and then cancel the remaining portion of the trip.  Your return fare will be refunded to your original payment method.

-If you are booking Wanna Get Away fares you can do the same as above, but note that when you cancel the return flight you will receive travel funds (credit) to use towards a future flight.  That trip must be completed within one year of the original purchase and funds can only be used by yourself.  This would be fine if you then use the travel funds to purchase the return flight when you figure out when that will be, as long as it's before the 1 year cutoff.  There could be a price difference between the original return flight you book and the one you actually use which could lead to you having excess travel funds that you could apply towards a future trip.

Hope that helps...

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Working internationally...problems at the ticket counter

dfwskier
Aviator A

I know of several countries that will deny entry absent a defined return flight. It could be that one of them is passing responsibility for that to the airline.