Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

$200 credit

abbyholliday
New Arrival

I was purchasing my tickets and was offered the $200 credit towards my next statement if I applied and was approved for a credit card. I applied and was instantly approved, the information on the site said that if you were instantly approved you could use the card to purchase your tickets now. Anyone know how to do that? Or did you just have to wait until the card come in?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: $200 credit

dfwskier
Rising Star
Solution

You'll have to wait until you get a credit card number and an expiration date. Until that happens, you won't be able to make any purchase.

Normally that would mean waiting until your card arrives.

Re: $200 credit

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

@abbyholliday wrote:

I was purchasing my tickets and was offered the $200 credit towards my next statement if I applied and was approved for a credit card. I applied and was instantly approved, the information on the site said that if you were instantly approved you could use the card to purchase your tickets now. Anyone know how to do that? Or did you just have to wait until the card come in?

Unfortunately, this seems to be one of the more complained-about Southwest card offers. If instantly approved, the Chase website is supposed to take you back to the Southwest purchase page with your new credit card account information auto-filled so that you can complete the transaction, but it apparently fails more often than not, as your's is a common complaint.

If it does fail, then unfortunately you'll need to wait until you receive the card in order to make the purchase. You can try contacting Chase but it's my understanding that they won't give out the necessary account information over the phone.

This of course means that the fare you were looking at may no longer be available, which is another common complaint regarding this credit card offer. Many choose to go ahead and book using another form of payment. If you do, you'll still receive the $200 statement credit on your new account as long as you complete the terms, but you won't receive any Rapid Rewards points for the flight purchase made on the other card.

I know this isn't much help to you now, but for other's who may see this: Because of these issues, I don't recommend using this offer. There are other offers for the same card easily available via web search, and often times the bonus points portion is greater (but without the statement credit). It's generally better to apply independently of the Southwest website, and add the card to your account when you make your first Southwest purchase.