Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

BEWARE- hackers stole points

evance17
Explorer C

BEWARE- It's been over 30 days since my account was hacked and 77,000 points stolen. Customer service and the fraud department have done nothing so far despite repeated inquiries. Have other people dealt with this? 

I've never had a company completely ignore a complaint- and especially about fraud and theft. What gives?  Is Southwest not interested in having a secure site? 

I earned these points from countless travel and my Southwest Credit Card. I am a loyal customer and would like to be reimbursed....

Southwest, are you going to remedy this problem?

Anybody have suggestions?  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: BEWARE- hackers stole points

dfwskier
Aviator A

@evance17 wrote:

BEWARE- It's been over 30 days since my account was hacked and 77,000 points stolen. Customer service and the fraud department have done nothing so far despite repeated inquiries. Have other people dealt with this? 

I've never had a company completely ignore a complaint- and especially about fraud and theft. What gives?  Is Southwest not interested in having a secure site? 

I earned these points from countless travel and my Southwest Credit Card. I am a loyal customer and would like to be reimbursed....

Southwest, are you going to remedy this problem?

Anybody have suggestions?  

If you are unhappy with the service received from customer relations, perhaps a letter to the CEO would be in order:

Gary Kelly

CEO

Southwest Airlines

P.O. Box 36647
Dallas, Texas 75235

Southwest's site is about as secure as the people that use  it. I suspect that somehow someone got access to your RR number and password. Logon a public wifi setup, and bingo you are exposed.

Re: BEWARE- hackers stole points

Befaulk
Explorer C

Hello, someone also stole almost 32,000 points  out of my account on July 17, 2019.   I got an email from SW notifying me I had used my points so I called immediately and they started an “investigation.”   Apparently, the hacker  used it on a third-party website called “More rewards” and redeemed for gift cards, etc...

I have never even heard of this third-party website and have no idea how they could have gotten my account information and password.  I only use the app for Southwest transactions and I am very careful not to sign in in public sites.

It has been three weeks now and still no word.  I saw on their FAQ that they are not responsible for points getting stolen :-(.  I had been saving those points for a while to redeem for a flight.  Has anyone had a case where SW gave them back their points after the investigation?