Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Business Credit Card Companion Pass

Natters241
Explorer C

I can't seem to find any information already out there regarding my question. 

Our company has a Southwest business credit card with multiple holders. The main holder is owner and CEO of the company. When we earn the companion pass, it goes to the owner. He is retiring and passing off the leadership to his eldest son. Is there a way to change the person the companion pass goes to to the eldest son? He is the one who will begin doing all of the travelling for the business. He would then be able to set the companion to someone else at the company who will travel with him for that year on sales and business calls. I can't find anywhere that talks about changing the main account holder when it applies to a business and the business changes leadership/restructures. 

Thanks for any help with this.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Business Credit Card Companion Pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

You will probably need to give Chase a call to discuss this.  The main account holder is the one who gets all the Rapid Rewards points and as you mentioned the Companion Pass when the points accrued hit the required threshold.  Chase should be able to change the main account holder and the associated RR account #.  Or perhaps the retiring owner wants to retain this "perk" and continue to get all the RR points from the spending?  If Chase is unable/unwillling to change the name, perhaps someone would need to reapply for a new account, but I'm just guessing and calling Chase would be the way to figure it out.

--TheMiddleSeat

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

Unfortunately, you won't be able to change the Companion Pass holder.  When the card is used, Chase sends points to SWA to the account holder's Rapid Rewards account and when enough qualifying points are earned, SWA awards the Companion Pass and the holder of the Companion Pass can't transfer it to someone else.  You would need to contact Chase and change the Rapid Rewards account where the points are sent and re-earn the Companion Pass under the new account.  I'm guessing you would need the CEO's permission since he is the primary account holder of the card.  Hope this helps.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

A business credit card is actually "owned" by a combination of a business and a person. Contact Chase -- they'll most likely need an application from the son, and will then either convert the account over to his name or (more likely) open a completely new one for the company using him as the primary account holder.

With regards to the Companion Pass, that's owned by the father -- Southwest doesn't have business Rapid Rewards accounts, only personal ones. The son will need to earn a new CP going forward.