Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Canceling card to open a new one in husband's name....

swilliams72707
Explorer C

We went 7 years with no credit cards. This past year (march 2018) we knew we'd be making some big cash purchases so we got a SW card to get the points since we only fly SW. Enjoyed the bonus points and paid for xmas since we weren't goin to hit companion. No biggie.. here's my question:

Come january I am opening a card in my husbands name for his own RR number to get the bonus points and start paying ALL bills on it. We should hit companion. My thought is to cancel my card in March once I get my anniversary points... Here's the deal. Do I have wait until NEXT march (2020) to sign up and get bonus points under MY name again? Or can I do it next January (2020) and then cancel his? I'm still new to this and learning about the 5/24 rule... 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Canceling card to open a new one in husband's name....

dfwskier
Aviator A

@swilliams72707 wrote:

Come january I am opening a card in my husbands name for his own RR number to get the bonus points and start paying ALL bills on it. We should hit companion. My thought is to cancel my card in March once I get my anniversary points... Here's the deal. Do I have wait until NEXT march (2020) to sign up and get bonus points under MY name again? Or can I do it next January (2020) and then cancel his? I'm still new to this and learning about the 5/24 rule... 

Here's what Chase says about your question. Whn you can sign up for a new card AND earn the bonus points tied to the new card is a function of how long it's been since you last earned sign up bonus points for signing up for the card you plan to cancel:

"Bonus Points
The product (new credit card bonus points) is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. 

Re: Canceling card to open a new one in husband's name....

rich1954
Adventurer A

You will need to hit 110,000 points in one account to do it. Its not easy but I was able when they were giving 50,000 points for a new personal card and 50,000 or more for the business card. 2 cards under one RR account is the easiest way to get it.