Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Card Design - New Priority Card

MajorMarket
Explorer C

Just got my SW Priority card but it doesn't have any embossed numbers on the FRONT of the card like my other credit cards do.  It is etched on the BACK along with my RR number.  I'll admit that I'm digging it now that I've looked at it.  Sleek.

A quick call to the Chase customer service desk had her puzzled and she wasn't sure if this is the true design or a goof in production.  So, I'm turning to the community to ask if anyone else with the Priority card have a similar design?  Or, is my card a goof?  Thanks so much!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Card Design - New Priority Card

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The new trend is definitely away from the embossed text and changing to the printed text on the back only, although a couple of other cards I've seen still had some information printed on the front.

The embossed text is more difficult to read, and costs more to make each card that has it, and the information is more secure by having all of it on the back when you leave the card face up at a restaurant or other public venue.

Obviously there is some limited downside for any vendors that might need to take down the numbers during power outage, who won't be able to use their carbon copy readers, or some of the shady taxis that are still out there.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

MajorMarket
Explorer C

Thank you for the reply!  I'm not someone who frequently opens new credit card accounts so I wasn't aware of this new trend of printing versus embossing.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

At this point more and more credit card companies are just printing the CC numbers on the back of the card s with no numbers on the fronts of the cards.  If you own cards from several different financial institutions, it is only a matter of time before other cards like the Southwest card  show up in your mail box.

I have Citibank Capital One and Discover Cards with only numers printed on the backs of the cards.

Ironically, I got a  Chase Freedom card in the  mail today (to replace one expiring next month), and it had an embossed number on the front. So for whatever reason, Chase is not replacing all of their CC products with the new design.

MajorMarket
Explorer C

As someone who infrequently opens credit card accounts, I wasn't aware of the latest trend of just printing the numbers on the back.  It is a pretty nifty feature.

You had mentioned that some of your non-Chase cards already do this yet ironically your new Freedom card came with embossed numbers.  My previous Chase cards (until today) had the "old school" embossed numbers so my Priority card is throwing me for a loop.

But, I'm good with it and eager to take the new card out for a spin now.