Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chase Card "Reward" Points Scam

franzk2
Explorer C

I signed up for the Chase card with Rapid Reward points and $250 back after first purchase of a thousand dollars. The approval was instant.

However, there was no link included to complete the purchase so I could not use the card as promised to purchase flights.  I called Southwest and spoke to Gail asking to hold the flights while Chase sends the cards. Her response was a curt, "We do not do that." She refused to help or offer any help. She raised her voice and became short with me. In fact, she told me to wait 10 days for the card then try again! We all know the flights will go up or be sold out by then. She offered to "transfer me" to Chase to figure this out on my own. Yes, I am capable of making a phone call to Chase, Gail. But why isn't Southwest honoring their end of the deal? She would not even stay on the phone while I called Chase to confirm the card was approved in hopes she would hold the flight for 48 hours un til the card was rushed.

Gail was rude. Southwest scammed me into applying for a credit card and now I am looking to JetBlue to book flights for our family from now on.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Chase Card "Reward" Points Scam

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@franzk2 wrote:

I signed up for the Chase card with Rapid Reward points and $250 back after first purchase of a thousand dollars. The approval was instant.

However, there was no link included to complete the purchase so I could not use the card as promised to purchase flights.  I called Southwest and spoke to Gail asking to hold the flights while Chase sends the cards. Her response was a curt, "We do not do that." She refused to help or offer any help. She raised her voice and became short with me. In fact, she told me to wait 10 days for the card then try again! We all know the flights will go up or be sold out by then. She offered to "transfer me" to Chase to figure this out on my own. Yes, I am capable of making a phone call to Chase, Gail. But why isn't Southwest honoring their end of the deal? She would not even stay on the phone while I called Chase to confirm the card was approved in hopes she would hold the flight for 48 hours un til the card was rushed.

Gail was rude. Southwest scammed me into applying for a credit card and now I am looking to JetBlue to book flights for our family from now on.

The issue seems to be at least partly with Chase, Southwest doesn't have access to your credit card account until you provide it. 

I have heard on other posts in this community that the handoff between the two sites doesn't seem to be populating the credit card information sometimes as you described - Chase will have to be the one to provide the account information to you though.

When is the flight you were looking at? Unless it is coming up soon you may be okay for availability and/or pricing, but the timing wouldn't make sense for a short-term booking for travel in a few weeks for instance.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Chase Card "Reward" Points Scam

dfwskier
Aviator A

Davis is right. You are not the first person who has had your problem. 

That being said, the Southwest rep had no way to help you with out having the pertinent credit card information. Also, no airline "holds" a reservation that does not include payment information - and companies like United charge you for the privilege of holding your reservation. So Gail had no way to either cut you a ticket of hold your reservation.

Gail was also correct when she said that you should contact Chase. Chase made you an offer. Chase was supposed to follow up on it's offer, and did not do so.

Sorry.