Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Chase Companion Pass Credit Card Offer - 2019

mytjo95
Explorer C

Thanks for this post. Our points just hit this morning, and I had the exact same question!

mrbloozman
Explorer C

Is there anywhere to see the Bonus Companion Pass benefit (upon spending $4,000) prior to receiving it?  I think we just squeeked through, but I was hoping I could verify this without calling support.

kellydaylaw
Explorer C

I also feel like we were scammed!  We put some effort into spending the $4000 as fast as possible, which we reached last week.  We just called, and they said it won't go through to Southwest until the end of the billing cycle - which is in 3 weeks!! And, on top of it, they said it will probably take 2 months after that for Southwest to give us our companion pass.  Seeing that this is only good until the end of the year, it's totally annoying that we won't get the Companion Pass for almost 3 entire months after we met the spending goal.  There are other ways we could have achieved the companion pass, but chose this one to get us there quickly this year!  And now, it turns out that they are just putting blockades up so that we can't get the full value of the pass for a quarter of the year.  Please keep me posted if you get anywhere with customer service on this issue.  

SWDigits
Aviator A
@kellydaylaw I don't see the issue with the credit card provider (in this case it's Chase) waiting for the credit card statement to close before posting the points and I think it's a common practice in the industry.

Check out the timing noted by the original poster noted earlier in the thread:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Rapid-Rewards-Credit-Card/Chase-Companion-Pass-Credit-Card-...

- Applied for Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Card on 1/12/19.
- Received card on ~ 1/16/19.
- Met spending requirements and statement closed on 1/28/19.
- Points posted on 1/30/19.
- Companion pass enabled on website 2/5/19.

Most folks echoed a similar experience and timing. Once your statement closes give it a few days and hopefully you'll be in good shape.

Customer | Home airport DCA

kellydaylaw
Explorer C

@SWDigits It looks like they are going to hold off on posting points, but SW should be able to start processing the Companion Pass now (which was the part I was concerned of).  So, now we'll see how long it takes SW. 

And yes, it's one thing if it's points, but if it's for another benefit that has an end date (such as Companion Pass), the possibility of waiting almost 3 months for processing is a little crazy. 

SWDigits
Aviator A
My hypothesis is that Companion Pass holders, earned through the credit card offer or through the "normal" methods spend more with Southwest than non holders. I'm also guessing that if that is the case then Southwest wants you to get the Companion Pass without delay too!

I'll also guess that the awarding of points from Chase to Southwest also has some sort of code attached that triggers Southwest to award the Companion Pass.

With all of that guessing, I'll also assume that in "normal" scenarios the Companion Pass gets triggered soon after the statement close but that they use the "weeks" in the legal wording to give themselves time to figure everything out if something goes wrongs.

All of the above is my personal speculation based on my experience working with numbers and supporting IT teams in corporate settings.

MoniH
Explorer C

I completed the requirements 4 weeks ago and am still waiting for the points and companion pass to show up. What the heck Southwest? My other credit cards post points almost instantaneously. So I strongly disagree with the other commenters that points post quickly!

SWDigits
Aviator A

@MoniH two things to check:

1. In my experience (and others here) the points post after your Chase statement closes -- how long has it been since your statement closed?
  2. Is your Rapid Rewards number on the back of your credit card and is it the correct number?  Note that RR numbers are printed on personal cards but not business cards.

If your statement closed more than a week ago and if Chase has your correct number then I'd call Chase to inquire.

I'm another customer like you (of both Chase and Southwest) so here sharing my experience and trying to help.  Happy to try to help if you have additional non-personally identifying information that is different from the above situation.