Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chase Credit Card - Refer a Friend reward

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Just sent the referral e-mail to my sister and see that "You will receive 10,000 bonus points for each friend you refer through this Refer-A-Friend offer".

I don't see where it says if these 10k points will count towards Companion Pass or not.  Anyone know?

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Chase Credit Card - Refer a Friend reward

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @PDFelter,

The 10,000 Rapid Rewards Points that you earn through the referral offer will not count toward a Companion Pass, they will only count toward your total available balance. 

*EDIT*

Rapid Rewards Points earned through the Refer-A-Friend promotion will count toward a Companion Pass. See updated response below.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Lindsey -- Can you double check that?I believe it's incorrect.

It's true that, in general, partner bonus points do not count towards Companion Pass. But the exception is Chase Southwest Visa Card bonus points. These are specifically mentioned in the terms and conditions as being Compaion Pass qualifying. For example, the Chase Southwest Visa sign up and anniversary bonus points do count towards Companion Pass earning.

From the terms and conditions (emphasis mine):

Companion Pass

A Member who earns 110,000 Companion Pass qualifying points or who flies 100 qualifying one-way flights booked through Southwest Airlines per calendar year will qualify for Companion Pass. Companion Pass qualifying points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, points earned on Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and base points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners. Purchased points, transferred points transferred between members, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from program enrollment, tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass qualifying points. Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase are not available for redemption or qualification for Companion Pass status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account. Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account during the same calendar year are available for qualification for Companion Pass status. No points or Companion Pass qualifying points will be awarded for flights taken by the Companion using the Companion Pass.

Also, the offer does not specifically state that the bonus points do not count towards Companion Pass earning.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

@PDFelter and @chgoflyer,

After consulting with one of our Chase Visa Rapid Rewards Liaisons, I have a clarification on the Refer-A-Friend promotion:

"Chase’s Refer a Friend promotion offers 5,000 points to the Referrer for each Friend who is approved, up to a maximum of 10 Friends per year (50,000 points). And all Chase Rapid Rewards Points are also Companion Pass Qualifying Points. So the 5,000 Refer a Friend points will count towards Companion Pass. Now , this is a Chase promotion, so if there are further questions, you'd want to contact Chase to get the full Terms and Conditions."

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Thanks Lindsey for the clarification.  Was hoping they would count, but would also just take the 10k points! I can get somewhere on that amount! 🙂

Looks like they may have recently updated their promotion: "You will receive 10,000 bonus points for each friend you refer through this Refer-A-Friend offer (up to 5), who is approved for the card. Maximum bonus points accumulation for this offer is 50,000 bonus points".

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Thanks for the correction.

The general rule is this:

Partner bonus points do not count towards Companion Pass, except for Chase Southwest Visa Card bonus points, which do count (unless otherwise stated in the offer).

pabstplace
Explorer C

I cannot find the referral program, how do I get to it?

tomstap
Explorer C

How long after referring a friend and they are accepted does it take to receive credit for the points on my account?

thenewaesthetic
Explorer C

I'm looking for answer to this to, if anyone knows.

thenewaesthetic
Explorer C

I just found out.  The next billing cycle after having a referred friend sign up, as well as reaching the monetary threshold to trigger the sign up bonus, showed my points.  #phew