Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chase points toward companion pass

shrekswife
Explorer C

I am 8,000 points away from a Companion Pass this year.  If I have $8001+ in charges to my SW Visa that closes December 15th, will they put me over what I need for my Companion Pass?  Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Chase points toward companion pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

That should do it, lots of Christmas shopping. Just be mindful of any returns or other credits that could reduce your point total.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

It should.

I would verify how long it takes for Chase to actually add the points to your account. You can do that by logging on the your Southwest account, and going to "earning activity" under "my rapid rewards" on the left side of the page There's a year's worth of points data there and you can see when Chase added points to your account in the past. and assume that time lag will continue in December.

I would guess that with a 12/15 statement date that you are safe. 

shrekswife
Explorer C

Great! That is very helpful.  So, my really dumb question is, if I purchase any flights with SW points between now and then, will points come off of my total? Sorry.  The Activity on that page made me nervous. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

If you redeem points for a flight your overall point balance will decrease, BUT the count of points earned towards Companion Pass does not decrease. That count only decreases if you return purchases and resets to zero on January 1.

--TheMiddleSeat