Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New Priority Card

cybrandt
Explorer C

Anyone have any thoughts on the new priority card and the value?

I currently use the Premiere card...

7,500 anniversary points   [INCREASE  1500 points cost = $30/1,000]
4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available [INCREASE]
$75 Southwest® annual travel credit [INCREASE]
20% back on Inflight purchases. [INCREASE-but when is the last time you used a drink ticket if you are nice?!]
No foreign exchange fees [SAME]
2 points per $1 on Southwest purchases and Rapid Rewards® hotel and car partner purchases [SAME]
1 points per $1 on all other purchases [SAME]
$149 Annual fee [INCREASE OF $50]

18 REPLIES 18

Re: New Priority Card

rich1954
Adventurer A

Seems like a no brainer to me, my question is -----I just paid my $99 annual fee, so do I have to now pay $149 again right away or pay it when my anniversary date rolls around again next year.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@rich1954 wrote:

Seems like a no brainer to me, my question is -----I just paid my $99 annual fee, so do I have to now pay $149 again right away or pay it when my anniversary date rolls around again next year.

I suspect that Chase would let you simply upgrade to the new card and pay the extra $50

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@rich1954 wrote:

I suspect that Chase would let you simply upgrade to the new card and pay the extra $50

But doing do would not get you any of the sign-up bonus points.

In order to get the new card and the bonuses, you'd need to 1) wait 2 years from the time you last received Chase Southwest sign-up bonus points, and 2) cancel your existing personal Southwest card(s) before applying.

Some people are receiving offers to upgrade to the new card (pay the additional annual fee difference, receive 5,000 bonus points).

SMcCarty
Explorer C

That's what I'm curious about - can existing Premier cardholders upgrade to the new Priority card?

jaimeinparker
Explorer C

I called and asked the same thing - you have to have the card 1yr before you can get the upgrade to the new card - 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

I just did this, and for me, I was refunded the old annual fee and then charged the new one.  Essentially, I paid the difference as already stated.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

dfwskier
Aviator A

Afternoon.

From a purely financial point of view you would be p aying $50 more to get

1500 Anniversary RR points (worth about $15 on wanna get away fares)

$75 SW tavel credit

4 upgraded boarding positions (not sure what thar means, but presuming you are A List and TSA    pre, that sounds like a "who cares" to me)

You forgot to mention 1500 (bonus?) tier qualifying points for evey $10000 spent. If you already

qualify for A list preferred and or companion pass that would be meaningless. If not, there might be some value to it.

So you'd be paying $50 to get $90+ of stuff  plus maybe (or maybe not) some access to A List preferred and or companion pass.

I personally prefer cards that give me cash back, and use several that give me 2%, 4% or 5%..

William15301
Explorer C

I am upgrading. To me it is a no brainer. I am not A List preferred so the four updraded boardings could save me up to $200 alone. I just paid $50 to be updraded on a flight last week.

walkendadog
Explorer C
Did you pay $50 to upgrade to business select or for priority boarding?