Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Rapid Rewards Priority Card upgrade boarding?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It was also mentioned in the original post this would be a family trip. Depending on the age of the child or children, there may be an opportunity to utilize family boarding after the A group. A child 6 or younger would be required. 

--TheMiddleSeat

cjmeller
Explorer C

SOUTHWEST UPGRADED BOARDINGS

Each anniversary year you will be reimbursed for the purchase of up to 4 Upgraded Boardings which are positions A1-A15. Upgraded Boardings may be purchased at the departure gate or ticket counter on the day of travel only, when available. Price of Upgraded Boardings is based on your itinerary. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. Eligibility for Upgraded Boardings for accounts that switch to this product: Account open date is the date the switch is official in the Chase system. After you make your purchase with your Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Card, you will receive a statement credit for the price of the Upgraded Boardings. Statement credit and purchase of Upgraded Boardings may not post on the same statement; please allow up to 8 weeks for the statement credit(s) to post to your account. You may purchase all 4 Upgraded Boardings at one time or on separate flights; you will only be reimbursed via statement credit for the first four Upgraded Boardings you purchase during your anniversary year. Account must be open and not in default at the time the statement credit is posted to your account.

huerta1518
Explorer C

Just to confirm from reading the posts, it seems as if EBCI does not qualify for the free upgraded boading? Just went on a flight on purchased EBCI thinking it would qualify and be reinburssed. Not a big deal if not.

Does the 4 free "Upgraded Boarding" only quialify when it is purchased at the gate and is A1-A15? 

Thank you in advance for the clairification. 

SWDigits
Aviator A

@huerta1518 wrote:

Just to confirm from reading the posts, it seems as if EBCI does not qualify for the free upgraded boading? Just went on a flight on purchased EBCI thinking it would qualify and be reinburssed. Not a big deal if not.

Does the 4 free "Upgraded Boarding" only quialify when it is purchased at the gate and is A1-A15? 

Thank you in advance for the clairification. 

Your understanding of both distinct products is correct.

Customer | Home airport DCA

SumEMT
Explorer C

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I think so:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Rapid-Rewards-Credit-Card/Upgraded-boarding-question-with-p...

Duplicate post, but where you have a specific question it is correct to start a new thread rather than adding on to this one, so directing any additoinal follow-up there.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Thanks @DancingDavidE. Feel free to flag the duplicate and I will remove. 

clkorschgen
Explorer C

Here's one gotcha on  Priority Card upgrading.

I was flying from St. Louis to Orlando.  I purchased a boarding upgrade and received A1.  I thought I would have my pick of any seat on the plane.  Walked on and the plane was already half full ! The flight had originated in Kansas City and stopped in St. Louis.  I'm sure all the folks from Kansas City going to Orlando were told to pick any seat they wanted before the St. Louis passengers boarded.  

Same thing happened on my return flight.  I boarded in Orland bound for St. Louis, but the flight had orginated in Baltimore, so again all the "good" seats were already occupied.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yes, through passengers can move to any available seat after non-through passengers deplane. As A1 you still got your choice of seat before A2 and everyone else boarding at your place of departure so there is still a benefit to the upgraded boarding position. In this particular case your expectations were just different than what the actual situation was.

--TheMiddleSeat