Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Chase credit card questions

HBGdancermom
Explorer C

Hi everyone,

As you can see I am new to the board and probably getting ready to ask a silly question..Smiley LOL

I am interested in opening a SW credit card with the 40000 points.  We are travelling to CA next year and I would love to earn point towards that.  I would like the card joint with my husband.

Would the primary cardholder only receive the rapid rewards points - for signing up, balance transfers and all purchase made on the card?

Also, when I do go to book these flights, will I be able to book for all 5 of us and use the points I have accummulated to pay for all of our tickets? I know we each have our own RR points we accumulate.

Thanks so much for your time!

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Southwest Chase credit card questions

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

All the points go to the primary card holder.   Yes, you can purchase all the tickets with your points!

HBGdancermom
Explorer C

Great!  Thank you!

wildwoodmike
Explorer C

Here's my advise. Get the PREMIER CARD since for every 10K spending you'll get 1500 Tier Qualifying Points. This is not the case with the Business Card, and not readily obvious. I learned the hard way. Use this refereal link -  https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=FNTD&CELL=63HB&MSC=1487539108  if you'd like to be sure you get the right card, (I'll get a bonus too). Doing this early in the year is best, since you'll be nearly half the way to a free Companion Pass, which will be good for the balance of the qualifying year, plus the entire following year. This is worth a fortune in itself. Then you can use all those RR points to pay for travel for the kids! Don't use the points for travel for the main card-holder though, since they wont earn points or get credit toward A-List. Beware of Southwest A-List promos though, I just paid a fortune to book Business Select as advised by a SWA agent to get those TQMs, yet they denied the A-List due to an interpretation issue I won't get into here. Good luck!

HappyGirl2578
Explorer C

Correct, points used for flights won't count towards A status. If you aren't trying to hit the tier or fly a lot, there is nothing wrong with booking the primary person with points. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Chase Southwest cards don't actually have "joint" accounts, there is always a primary cardholder, plus any authorised user(s).

Since only the primary cardholder gets the points, consider getting each person their own card, along with their own signup bonus points. 😉

SeniorNotso
Explorer A

So true!  Each spouse gets their own card. First get one,  the Plus ($69) and have all bills and expenses go to that card for 3 months. Then get another Plus card in other spouse name, again charge all bills/expenses to that card.  Within 6 months you'll have 80,000 points to fly with. 80,000 point for $138, CHEAP!   As soon as you get the points added to your respected accounts, BOOK  flights.  Do book with first card, then second when point are added.  Lock in rate.  Why?  Because during the waiting time, the flight will change up/down, so check daily.  Cost nothing but your time to change.  Initial $5 fee will be your only out of pocket expense and is a one-time fee no matter how many times you rebook lower fare!  Book individual persons one at a time, the site will not display a lower cost seat if you choose 2 or more in search. 

When the card comes up for renewal, wait for the anniversary points to be added, then cancel the card!  As long as you do this within 3 months of anniversary date, you'll get back the $69 fee for the second year!!  Then apply for the Premire Card and repeat process. From time to time the premire card will have a sign-up bonus of  50,000. Or opt for the Business card and for the same fee get 60,000 points!  Then for $198, you'll have 120,000 points.......Google for special sign up offers, do not always sign up from Chase or SWA web sites!!

Boston to California and back to Boston for $79.00! 

Sam2427
Explorer A

One thing to consider, and please correct me if I am wrong, but what happens to your credit score if you keep on opening up new cards all the time?

LivingSmarter
Explorer C

Depends on what you want to achieve.  Two things happen if you keep on opening up new cards all the time.

1) On the downside, you will decrease the age of your credit which is not as damaging on your credit as other factors. 

2) On the upside, you will increase your overall credit limit, decrease your credit utilization, which ultimately improves your credit score. Note that credit utilization accounts for 30% percent of your credit score. This is why you want to pay attention to this more than the age of your credit or opening new accounts.

Saji Ijiyemi

tracig
Explorer C

Can you book your flight with points then cancel the card before you actually take the flight?