Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

$200 credit

abbyholliday
Explorer C

I was purchasing my tickets and was offered the $200 credit towards my next statement if I applied and was approved for a credit card. I applied and was instantly approved, the information on the site said that if you were instantly approved you could use the card to purchase your tickets now. Anyone know how to do that? Or did you just have to wait until the card come in?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: $200 credit

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

You'll have to wait until you get a credit card number and an expiration date. Until that happens, you won't be able to make any purchase.

Normally that would mean waiting until your card arrives.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@abbyholliday wrote:

I was purchasing my tickets and was offered the $200 credit towards my next statement if I applied and was approved for a credit card. I applied and was instantly approved, the information on the site said that if you were instantly approved you could use the card to purchase your tickets now. Anyone know how to do that? Or did you just have to wait until the card come in?

Unfortunately, this seems to be one of the more complained-about Southwest card offers. If instantly approved, the Chase website is supposed to take you back to the Southwest purchase page with your new credit card account information auto-filled so that you can complete the transaction, but it apparently fails more often than not, as your's is a common complaint.

If it does fail, then unfortunately you'll need to wait until you receive the card in order to make the purchase. You can try contacting Chase but it's my understanding that they won't give out the necessary account information over the phone.

This of course means that the fare you were looking at may no longer be available, which is another common complaint regarding this credit card offer. Many choose to go ahead and book using another form of payment. If you do, you'll still receive the $200 statement credit on your new account as long as you complete the terms, but you won't receive any Rapid Rewards points for the flight purchase made on the other card.

I know this isn't much help to you now, but for other's who may see this: Because of these issues, I don't recommend using this offer. There are other offers for the same card easily available via web search, and often times the bonus points portion is greater (but without the statement credit). It's generally better to apply independently of the Southwest website, and add the card to your account when you make your first Southwest purchase.

mrluvit
Explorer C

I am having the same issue. I was offered the $200 statement credit after the 1st purchase. Below is a snip it of the day I bought my airticket using the Southwest Rapid Rewards CC I had applied for.  I had applied for the SW Rapid Rewards credit card through  Southwest Airlines.com a week earlier. 

Recently, I just received my first statement asking me to pay on April 1st. There was no mention of the $200 statement credit on my online account, so I called the customer service on the back of the card and asked the $200 statement credit. He said I don't have any offer like that for the card I just applied for. ??????

I felt lured into applying for Southwest Credit  Card that charges us $69 for the annual fee but they do not honor the $200 statement credit.  

mrluvit_1-1583631656380.pngmrluvit_2-1583631704933.png

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'm unable to see the attachment until they are approved by a moderator. 

It sounds however like the timeline might be off here. In order to receive the $200 statement credit, you would need to have applied for and been approved for the card as part of a ticket purchase transaction. 

If you click it all away from the offer, or click to a different offer found elsewhere on the internet, you will receive the promotional offer attached to that new link.

Most Southwest credit card offers however are better than the $200 statement credit one. What offer does Chase say is attached to your account? Make sure you verify the terms and conditions of the offer, especially the spending threshold and time frame.

ehornbaker
Explorer C

Hello everyone -

I too, feel very 'duped' by this offer.  I need to purchase 2 Southwest Airline tickets, I went ahead and applied for and was immediately approved for one of their cards and once approved, wasn't able to do anything.  I couldn't buy my ticket, I couldn't get logged into my new Chase account because I didn't receive any notification via email of ANY kind that I was even approved for the card.  I had to call Chase 4 separate times to even confirm that the information I saw come up on the screen was correct, that I was approved for the card I applied for.  Not ONE, single, form of notification.  It felt as if my online application - with all of my personal information vanished into cyber-space.  I was very disappointed with the whole process.  And, I had 1 person from Chase, during my own calling to investigate the status of my approved application, hang up on me!  Absolutely uncalled for.  Now, I won't be able to qualify to get the bonus new purchase points added to my new card that I was essentially 'duped' into applying for online.   I'll likely cancel this card once I receive it - simply because the process of applying and being able to use the card for my immediate purchase was a total bait and switch.  I'm very disappointed with the whole process. Shame on you Southwest and Chase for luring people into thinking that they're able to apply for a card and if instantly approved, be able to use it for an immediate ticket purchase along with getting the point rewards added to the card.   Unbelievable.