Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: 264,230 SW points disappeared in a very deceptive way

jmschedler
Explorer B

Are the rules set to help their customers?  That's what I'm saying.  It's easy to keep an account active.  Nothing really needed.  The rules are not there to help their customers or there would be "a grace period" or warnings other than the "we miss you" buried in a promotional full page email.  You can defend their rules all you want but have them take 264,320 miles from you when you really didn't do anything to deserve it after spending tens of thousands of dollars to earn them and save them......then defend their motivations on their rules.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jmschedler wrote:

Are the rules set to help their customers?  That's what I'm saying.  It's easy to keep an account active.  Nothing really needed.  The rules are not there to help their customers or there would be "a grace period" or warnings other than the "we miss you" buried in a promotional full page email.  You can defend their rules all you want but have them take 264,320 miles from you when you really didn't do anything to deserve it after spending tens of thousands of dollars to earn them and save them......then defend their motivations on their rules.

I think you know the answers to these questions.

To be clear, I completely agree with you. I'm not defending their rules, I'm just saying that those are the rules. I've spoken out frequently my opinion that Southwest would do well to stop advertising that "points don't expire," and that greater notifications regarding upcoming point expiration would be a minimal gesture towards reducing customer dissatisfaction. 

But, as I said earlier, my understanding is that the removal of agents' discretion in restoring lost points came directly from upper management, so I'm doubtful that any changes are forthcoming.

Again, now more than ever and with every company -- including ones previously known for their customer-positive policies -- it's imperative that the customer proactively understand all of the terms and conditions of every financial agreement they enter into.

SWDigits
Aviator A
This is a note for anyone looking for an easy way to earn points to "reset" the clock. My personal opinion is that the easiest and least expensive option is to make a purchase through the online shopping portal. In my experience the points post within a week:

https://rapidrewardsshopping.southwest.com

Customer | Home airport DCA

SadSWFlyer
Explorer B

Yes, that is ridiculously easy (and your tip is appreciated and will hopefully help some). But it's also even more proof this is purposeful on the part of SW. For those of is who lost hundreds of thousands of points, is there any doubt we'd buy something from there in a SECOND if we had any clue our points were about to expire? Which no doubt is why they do NOT warn us.

Huge corporations like this don't do things like this by accident. This is a known issue and it's carefully planned. It's a way to get out of giving rewards to people that are not flying with them a lot anymore.

nlbco
Explorer B

Mr. JMSCHEDLER,

All I want to say is I understand your incredulousness that the airline cannot see their way through to help you out here.  I understand what the other posters have said re: how "easy" it is to keep your points, and it's the customer's responsibility, and who knows how many other people will start calling about lost points...

So sorry and I join you in your concern.  My husband and I travel often and are not currently at risk of being in your position, but come retirement, I will be very careful to pay attention to our yearly travel.  Thank you for sharing your experience as dissapointing as it is.

SadSWFlyer
Explorer B

Hey, one other thing. I just wanted to tell you how horribly sad I feel for you that this happened. Amazingly, I was saving my miles for the same reason. We have a dream of moving to Hawaii and was saving all my miles for when we started to fly back and forth. I was even planning on a surprise vacation there for my wife.