Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

96% towards Companion Pass

banban0215
Explorer C

Hello there fellow travelers,

I've been working so hard on my Companion Pass. Lo and behold, I am only at 96%  and I need 5,000 points more to earn the coveted companion pass. Any ideas you can give me is greatly appreciated. I am looking at shopping portal, specifically NY Time subscription, 23andme and some rapid rewards dining. How about the Verizon deal at 4,000 for switching plans. Also will these points post immediately by the year end? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 96% towards Companion Pass

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I'd read the subscription shopping deals closely. some will only post points after you have had the subscription for so many days.  

I'm getting our last 4000 points from a hotel stay for one night.  

Best of luck in getting those last points! 

franktravel
Aviator B

How badly do you want the Companion Pass? and how much are you willing to spend?  I would do what you have sugested below, and if the points do not post in time then I would suggest you take a short flight before Dec 31 to an airport close by to get the points to qualify you for the Companion.  Also if you have the Southwest Airlines Credit Card your points for Dec will post about 5-7 days after your due date. 

Good Luck!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

5,000 points will be about $400 of Business Select fares - do you have any destinations close to you that would work?

Maybe BS there to get the 12x points and then WGA or use points to come back after having lunch.

Two WGA fares for the same points would have to be $833 worth which is tough combination for one short round trip.

That is an extremely reliable method since the points post shortly after your flight. I've made a RT from MDW to MSP to achieve status at the end of a year, that one was for A-list, but the idea is similar.

The downside is buying something that you don't need, where the dining or the shopping could at least be for something useful other than just taking a day trip, but look at the terms to be sure points would post in time.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Teebaby
Explorer C

Hello!

I too am very close to CP.  I just checked and read there are only 2 ways to earn TIER QUALIFYING POINTS:

1-BUTT IN SEAT (BIS) an actual flight somewhere

2-Chase Southwest Premier credit card (up to 15,000 T.Q.P. per year)

I guess I will need to get to flying!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Teebaby wrote:

Hello!

I too am very close to CP.  I just checked and read there are only 2 ways to earn TIER QUALIFYING POINTS:

1-BUTT IN SEAT (BIS) an actual flight somewhere

2-Chase Southwest Premier credit card (up to 15,000 T.Q.P. per year)

I guess I will need to get to flying!

No. TQPs apply to A-List qualification only.

CPQP (companion pass qualifying points) include many more points. Basically, all base points. The primary stated exception are hotel or other partner transfer points (when you transfer large amounts of points from a partner program into Rapid Rewards). Credit card, RR Shopping, RR Dining, rental car, hotel stay, etc... all count towards CP as long as they post prior to Jan. 1.

To qualify for a Companion Pass, you will need to earn 110,000 Companion Pass qualifying points or fly 100 Southwest Airlines® qualifying one-way flights per calendar year. Points must be earned and posted to your Rapid Rewards® account prior to the end of the calendar year in order to count toward Companion Pass qualification. Companion Pass qualifying points are earned from your revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, your points earned by making purchases with a Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card, and your base points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners. Purchased points, points transferred between Members, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions, and Diners Club, points earned from program enrollment, tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and Partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass qualifying points.