Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List and A-List Prefered Bonus Points... Tier Qualifying or Not?

RonGBruns
Explorer C

I am 4,500 points short of A-List.  Seems like last year i was able to purchase the points to make it to A-List in 2017.  Will that be available again this year?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: A-List and A-List Prefered Bonus Points... Tier Qualifying or Not?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Purchased points do not count towards A-List.

Here's more information from Southwest:

Tier Qualifying points are earned from revenue flights or through the Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase.  Points earned via Rapid Rewards Partners, with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase, purchased points, bonus points, or points earned via a promotion are not Tier Qualifying points and do not count toward A-List and A-List Preferred qualification.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If you have any WGA fare trips schedule the rest of the year, you can consider upgrading yourself to BS to get over the top of the points if it is that valuable to you. 

Last year I was close on flights at booked a couple of $59 legs to MSP and back to MDW to close mine out.

Otherwise as @TheMiddleSeat said you wouldn't have had the opportunity to purchase points to get there. Unless you had a special promotion at the end of the year.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Regarding the subject line, in my own account I recently had checked that the base points were labeled as TQP and when I looked at "all points" the numbers were higher, so my understanding is that the 25% and 100% bonus for A-list and A-list preferred respectively won't count towards TQP the next year.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.