Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List preferred to Companion Pass

meglynn629
Explorer C

Hi! My husband is about to earn enough points to qualify for the Companion Pass. Just curious if all of the perks of A-List preferred (100% earning bonus, Free Wi-Fi, etc.) would still apply for his purchased tickets once he reaches Companion Pass status. 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: A-List preferred to Companion Pass

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

As long as he has qualified for BOTH A List Preferred and CP, he (and he alone) will get the ALP benefits.  The benefits do not transfer to the Companion.  Also note that some benefits are only for paid fares (the bonus points, for example).  But he will always get the priority boarding, wifi (based on availability), etc.  

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@meglynn629 wrote:

Hi! My husband is about to earn enough points to qualify for the Companion Pass. Just curious if all of the perks of A-List preferred (100% earning bonus, Free Wi-Fi, etc.) would still apply for his purchased tickets once he reaches Companion Pass status. 

Thanks!

I would look at it as ALP as the highest level of qualification with Southwest, difficult to attain and comes almost solely from flight purchases (a small contribution could be from credit card bonus on total spending). ALP are the "best" customers. The benefits apply regardless of how the ALP passengers books tickets - regular cash booking, reward flights, or even free promotional tickets.

Companion pass is merely an add-on to that status that gets an extra ticket. The extra ticket doesn't come with the boarding position of ALP, and likewise the ALP benefits aren't affected whether flying with companion or not.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

meglynn629
Explorer C

Thank you! That is what I figured but wanted to be sure. He has already qualified for A-List Preferred and will reach enough points within the next week for companion pass.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@meglynn629 Happy to help!  Note that you can mark one of the replies as an "Accepted Solution."  This helps other community users find trusted information.  If you have a moment, please take time to do that.

Thanks!

-A List, Companion Pass holder