Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List

eavesjr
Explorer C

I know this is very basic, humor me.  I just hit A-List for the first time.  On my next reservation, I do not have to purchase early bird and my boarding pass will likely be high A with NO ACTION ON MY PART?  I don't have to check in manually (on the phone app) and I shouldn't buy early bird...Correct?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: A-List

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@eavesjr wrote:

I know this is very basic, humor me.  I just hit A-List for the first time.  On my next reservation, I do not have to purchase early bird and my boarding pass will likely be high A with NO ACTION ON MY PART?  I don't have to check in manually (on the phone app) and I shouldn't buy early bird...Correct?

First off - congrats, welcome to the A-list!

The reservation system shouldn't prompt you to buy early-bird at all, if if you did click through somehow the system should invalidate your attempt to purchase EBCI. 

You also will be assigned a boarding position at T-36 without checking in, and in position ahead of EBCI so as you mention - if you did somehow buy EBCI, it wouldn't help you anyway.

Instead you will "claim" your boarding position when you check in, at  your leisure. My app actually notifies me automatically at the T-24 timing what my assigned position was, you may need to allow notifications to see that, and mine is iSO but I would assume there is similar Android functionality.

A few other helpful reminders:

• You are still competing with all the other A-listers for position - sometimes I get A16, sometimes when I'm heading to a convention - I may know 5-10 people onboard personally - I've gotten into the A40's at times.
  • If you did ever end up with a B or C - either software glitch, changes under the 36 hour (or 24 hour - we have an unresolved debate on this topic) you can board as "A61" position before family boarding. This will apply to all of your current reservations made without A-list also.

If you have any reservations made from before and the price is the same or less, you could rebook them to get A-list on your ticket, access to fly-by lane (if you don't already have PreCheck). Otherwise you can keep those tickets as booked but still board at A61, your same-day standby rights would still apply, etc.

One wrinkle that came up on another thread - if you bought EBCI on those tickets already, and subsequently earn A-list, the tickets could have both statuses if you rebook them by changing. I'm not sure if you can get a refund of EBCI or not.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

eavesjr
Explorer C

This is awesome.  Thank you.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@eavesjr wrote:

If you have any reservations made from before and the price is the same or less, you could rebook them to get A-list on your ticket, access to fly-by lane (if you don't already have PreCheck). Otherwise you can keep those tickets as booked but still board at A61, your same-day standby rights would still apply, etc.

Actually, just contact Southwest and they'll add your new status to your existing reservations. 😉