Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A list standby for flight with stops

Sharontraul
Explorer C

Can I fly standby on an earlier flight even if I will be on a flight that is NOT nonstop?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: A list standby for flight with stops

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Sharontraul wrote:

Can I fly standby on an earlier flight even if I will be on a flight that is NOT nonstop?

You sure can.

Sharontraul
Explorer C

So, to clear this up...I can go to the airport and IF there are earlier flights from CMH to EWR (one layover at MDW), they will ticket me on both legs of the trip while in CMH?  Or do I have to travel standby again when I get to MDW?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Sharontraul wrote:

So, to clear this up...I can go to the airport and IF there are earlier flights from CMH to EWR (one layover at MDW), they will ticket me on both legs of the trip while in CMH?  Or do I have to travel standby again when I get to MDW?

You would get tickets to both legs. You would need to check in the the first (if the agent didn't do that for you), and would automatically be checked in for the second -- just as if you had always held that itinerary.

Sharontraul
Explorer C

Thank you very much,

bec102896
Aviator A

@Sharontraul 

You can standby for an earlier flight with connection(s) but when you are cleared for the 1st flight you may not be cleared form the connection flight so you will want to make sure there are seats on the connection flight as you will then be on standby for the 2nd flight. You will know if your cleared by the boarding pass they give you it will either be a standby pass (no boarding position or a boarding pass with position) if you get a standby pass check in at the counter when you get to your new next gate and let them know your there in case they cannot clef you right then. 

Here is what I recommend you do before you take the risk on standby with a connection flight:

use the mobile app, Southwest.com, or the mobile site and search your flight as if you wanted to book another seat but search 8 people (the maximum number of passengers you can book on one reservation) and see if it still shows available seats. I usually do this the day before I want to do a standby with connection reservation and I do it as I am pulling up to the airport before putting myself on standby as inventory may have changed. If I see 8 seats available then I will proceed with standby. 

If checking bags they usually wont transfer bags checked at the ticket counter so I would do carry on bags only when doing standby. When you are cleared at the gate for the flight you could check your bag at that point if you wanted to. 

Also if your doing standby on a full flight they may not clear you until 10min before the flight so you will probably have a middle seat as you will miss your priority boarding opportunity and most everyone else would be boarded. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

Sharontraul
Explorer C

Such detail...totally appreciated!  Especially about using a carry on.  I’m a checked-bag kind of person, so that never even occurred to me!  Thanks so much!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

A couple of additional thoughts - the advice above is great!

• Ask when you check in at the ticket counter if you've used @bec102896 's tip to see if 8+ seats are available - in that case they may be able to clear you immediately and avoid being on standby at the gate, and you can check your luggage on your new flight.
  • Nothing prohibits you from taking standby onto a direct flight if one is available that leaves prior to your original fight - go for it! (So will any other through A-list passengers going on your same route though!) The one loophole you don't have though is standby on a direct flight that departs later, even if it would arrive at your destination earlier than your original connecting flight.
  • Have a backup plan if you arrive early and can't be accomodated - at BWI I say O'Brycki's, at MDW Reilly's Daughter in the new food court by A4, Denver lots of spots, etc. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.