Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Anybody else miffed with NOT getting the A-List emails?

VASHFORD
Explorer C

I have never achieved the A-List status. I got close one year, but couldn't get it done by December.

I have a colleague who was A-List once, also couldn't achieve it by December 2016. Yet, in February HE receives the special Southwest email inviting him for limited time A-List status, AND, offers him special conditions if he books a few flights (3) by a certain date (April 30th) Meaning, he didn't have to fly the required 25 flights last year to get the status for the rest of the year 2017.  Since he travels a bit, he booked the flights and has A-list until Dec. 31, 2017.

While glad for him,  I'd like a deal/offer like this too.  All I ever get is the Southwest Visa Card invites for more friends to get and use. Yes, I know they market based on behavior ( I use my SW Visa and rack up points), but I'd like the better opportunity other than helping Chase get more customers. Why don't they experiment and let me take a crack at A-List too?

I CRY FOUL!

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Anybody else miffed with NOT getting the A-List emails?

msturtz
Explorer B

I had A-List for 2 years, but lost it for 2016.  I was real close to getting it for this year, but I knew I wasn't quite there.

I also received a "You got A-List!  Congrats!" email in January -- I didn't get my hopes up, and sure enough, it turned out to be an IT mistake (IT gets blamed for everything!!!).  That was pretty frustrating, but again, I hadn't gotten my hopes up too much.

I became aware of the promo you mentioned, if you flew 3 round-trips or 6 one-ways, or got like 9,000 points, between 1/31 and 4/30, you'd get A-List for 2017.  I went on a business trip (Business Select, Yeah!) in early April, and that one trip netted me like 12,000 points.  But there's a catch:  You had to register for the promotion, *before* the flights, and I hadn't even known about the promo until after the trip.  I called and asked, but they steadfastly refused, saying "it's a promo with specific terms, you didn't meet them, so sorry, nothing we can do, buh-bye".  That was *FAR* more frustrating.

The only thing I can suggest is make sure you're subscribed to their marketing emails -- that's apparently where they announce promos and other special deals.  I was getting my RR statement, but nothing else.  Now I'm getting it all.

[EDIT]:  I posted this on 5/4...  In today's mail, I received a letter congratulating me for hitting the promo, and a 2017 A-list card...  Not sure if they're related, but either way, I'm a happy camper.

-Matt-

caa1127
Explorer C

I had the same problem. I did sign up but misunderstood the directions that not only did you have to "fly" 3 roundtrips or 6 one ways, but you had to "book" them as well in the time. I already had some of my flights book. I called and they said "Oh, you would have had to rebook it within the dates". So I probably was one flight off from keeping it the whole year. I flew 7 times between the date.

Miffed was not my response.

combscrew7
Explorer C

so disappointing...i flew the 3 and have kept looking back to see when they update their system for my 3 flights and nothing has happened.  this must be why.  not pleased. 

VASHFORD
Explorer C

I am subscribed to all marketing emails, and register for anythat may apply (bonus points for taking surveys, etc) What you've missed is that I DON'T RECEIVE THAT TYPE OF EMAIL for A-List help. All I ever get is the SW Visa promos.

I think they mkt to us based on yur past history, ie. I'm a strong user of my SW Visa, so let's see if she can get others to get the card too. I don't want to work for them or Chase, I want to work for me, and getting a sweet A-List. 😞

timothyway
Explorer C

Three of us in my office were in the same boat; we came close to A-List last year, but none of us actually made it.  One of us received an email with the special offer you mentioned; fly three flights by April 30th.

Needless to say, the other two (one of them being me) that didn't recieve the email were miffed!

However, a week later I logged into my account and and clicked on the "promotions" link and there was the special A-List offer!

Three flights later, I'm now A-List through the end of the year...and hopefully, next year as well.

Moral of the story, ALWAYS check for available promostions.

VASHFORD
Explorer C

@timothyway wrote:

Three of us in my office were in the same boat; we came close to A-List last year, but none of us actually made it.  One of us received an email with the special offer you mentioned; fly three flights by April 30th.

Needless to say, the other two (one of them being me) that didn't recieve the email were miffed!

However, a week later I logged into my account and and clicked on the "promotions" link and there was the special A-List offer!

Three flights later, I'm now A-List through the end of the year...and hopefully, next year as well.

I do, regularly, and HAVE NEVER SEEN this type of promo--only them trying to pimp my friends and family for the SW Visa.

VASHFORD
Explorer C

@timothyway wrote:

Makes me wonder if they only send those emails to those past A-Listers and those who were almost there, maybe that means within 1-3 flights. The year I was talking about, I was 7 flights short...that's close, right? I mean 18 flights in a year is a lot for most, but NOT ENOUGH for Southwest to even tease me with the promo.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@VASHFORDI'm sure that's what they do. It certainly is targeted to those that have had A-list before and came close to achieving again - someone that has been a regular customer for two years, they don't want to lose that regular customer because they didn't quite fly enough in the past year.

I'm sure if Southwest had a way to see someone that came within a few flights each year but didn't achieve it, they also could be offered the promotion to retain/enhance their business, the main difference being that the person in that case might not be expected to retain A-list if they don't fly enough so it could be a one-off, as opposed to "long-time" A-listers missing out due to a slow year.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

caa1127
Explorer C

I signed up and did what I thought was right, but the instructions were not clear on "BOOKING and flying". I had all flights I needed, however because I had booked two of those flights before the promotion began, I didn't get to keep it. 

Moral of the story...when you see or check for promotions, call and clarify rules. I certainly will be from now on 🙂