Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Are point earned with Southwest CC added on top of points earned by booking flights and hotels?

dougmatic
Explorer C

I have a Southwest credit card and took advantage of the promotion earlier this year to get Companion Pass for the rest of 2019. I'm now trying to hit 110,000 points to get it renewed for 2020.

My girlfriend and I are going to Hawaii later this year, and I'm considering booking a hotel stay that costs $1,700 as a base price, plus it gives you 18,000 Rapid Rewards points. If I book it with my SW credit card, would I get 19,700 Rapid Rewards points for the purchase (i.e., 18,000 plus 1,700 points) or would I just get 18,000?

Also, I have several flights booked between now and the end of the year, including the Hawaii flight. I know that for Wanna Get Away fares, you earn 6 points per dollar spent. Given that I booked all of my flights with my SW credit card (which gives you 2x points per dollar spent), am I going to effectively get 8 points per dollar spent on my flights? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Are point earned with Southwest CC added on top of points earned by booking flights and hotels?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

You should actually get more for the hotel.  You actually get 2x points of partner hotel bookings, so you should get the 1,700 x 2 + 18,000 points!

As far as the flight bookings go, basically yes, but there is a caveat.  You do get 2x the points for the cost of the ticket, but you only accumulate 6 points per dollar on the base fare.  Taxes and fees to not accumulate points.  From SW's site:

How can I calculate the number of points I should earn for my ticket?

The number of points earned for each flight segment is calculated after completion of the entire ticket and is based on the dollar amount paid for the base fare and fare product purchased for that segment. Taxes and fees imposed by the United States and foreign governments, including airport-assessed Passenger Facility Charges (PFCs), federal segment fees, the government-imposed September 11th Security Fee, and other taxes and fees are not eligible to earn points.

If a ticket is purchased with outbound and return segments using the same fare type (e.g., Wanna Get Away® for both), the number of points earned for both segments will be calculated using the base fares and corresponding earn rate for that fare type. For example, if both the outbound and return flights are purchased as a Wanna Get Away fare, the points earned on the base fare of each one-way segment will be calculated individually at a rate of six points per dollar. The resulting totals are then added together to arrive at Rapid Rewards points for that trip.

NOTE: If a ticket is purchased that combines different fare types (e.g., Business Select® for the outbound segment and Wanna Get Away for the return segment), the number of points earned will be calculated by multiplying the base fare for each segment by the corresponding number of points per dollar for each fare product.

Hope that helps!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Re: Are point earned with Southwest CC added on top of points earned by booking flights and hotels?

dougmatic
Explorer C

That's great to hear. So for the flights, in other words, I'd get 2x points the cost of the whole flight (including taxes and fees) plus 6x points for the cost of the base flight minus taxes and fees (which would be the majority of the cost). 

Thank you!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Yup...the 2x points on the card from the flight purchase part is easy to calculate.  Your confirmation email includes an estimate of the points you will earn from the flying part!

SW.JPG 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

dougmatic
Explorer C

thank you