Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bait and Switch on Chase Southwest Credit Card

mchllmell
Explorer C

Im posting in hopes of getting some different answers.  I applied for the credit card when I saw their promotion for 50,000 points if you spend $1000 in 3 months.  This was in June or July of 2017.  I spent the required amount and then noticed I got no points so I wrote secure messages where Chase responded that the promotion I got what for 10,000 points which I would have never have done and they had my wrong rewards number which they corrected. They have sent me the credit card agreement which doesn't mention anything about what promotion I signed up for only how the points are used.  I want to see the points promotion in writing and no one has given me this.  I haven't opened a new credit card in a while and this is why because of shady practices. 

42 REPLIES 42

Re: Bait and Switch on Chase Southwest Credit Card

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Did you get any confirmation by email that might have the details? That's probably your best resource.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SeniorNotso
Explorer A

And THAT IS WHY you always take screen shots of all promotions!!

taxgeek
Explorer C

We didn't take screen shots because we believed Southwest to be an ethical company. If you read additional posts you will see that even with screen shots, Chase and Southwest will not honor their contracts. One poster I've read did receive her points but only after getting data off her computer to prove she had selected the correct link for the number of points she had applied. So, if you are teck savey or pay someone who is teck savey to delve into your computer, you just might get your points. This is not what I concider to be ethical behavior by Southwest and Chase. Southwest points to Chase as the bad actor. But Southwest is still  doing buisness with Chase after years of knowing that Chase is scaming people. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Reminder - Chase has total control over everything to do with it's banking products - including credit cards.. 

Southwest does not.

1barnguy
Explorer C

I am having a similar experience where Chase refused to honor the original offer of 60,000 miles. Instead they have given me 10,000 miles and a $200 statement credit. Bait and switch all the way with Southwest Airlines name all over it. Fortunately I downloaded and made a hard copy of the original offer with all the details. Probably tough to fight with Chase but I expected better from SWA. Moral of the story - Dont click on the offer...

JWBarker
Explorer C

Applied for SWA/Chase CC with promised 50k pts if $2k spend in first three months.  Card arrives with no documentation of my offer.  SWA can’t find which bonus offered I would be getting, and Chase tells me what I was promised, but can/will NOT provide verification via email or letter.  I didn’t activate the card and closed account.  An offer was made, but was not reflected in the agreement (contract).  Bait and switch possible.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@JWBarker wrote:

Applied for SWA/Chase CC with promised 50k pts if $2k spend in first three months.  Card arrives with no documentation of my offer.  SWA can’t find which bonus offered I would be getting, and Chase tells me what I was promised, but can/will NOT provide verification via email or letter.  I didn’t activate the card and closed account.  An offer was made, but was not reflected in the agreement (contract).  Bait and switch possible.

FYI, the mailer you receive with your card never references the offer. And Southwest wouldn't know anything about the offer as that's between Chase and you. Chase is responsible for granting all bonus account opening points.

Chase phone agents will verify the offer attached to your new account, and there is no reason not to believe them. It's a good idea to keep screenshots of the offer you applied for, for your own peace of mind.

I know it's too late for you now... but be aware that it's generally a bad idea to immediately close an account. Both from a credit report standpoint, and also because Chase follows the 5/24 rule (denial of anyone with more than 5 new accounts opened within 24 months.)

Kartracer6
Explorer C

I to was involved in this scam.  I took a screen shot of the promotion when I signed up.  When I called about info on the points they claimed I was signed up with a 10,000 point offer instead.  The rep even acknowledged that there was a promotion and that I may have been placed on the wrong one by mistake.  However he stated he was unable to make corrections to the account and that no one in his office would be able to help and provided me with a fax number to the coperate office in Ohio.  I've sent info but have not recieved any response from them.  I'm going around collecting screen shots of other people who have had the same issue.  According to the rep I spoke with the screen shot will not matter because the account is already created.  I'm going to report this issue to the media and see if that gets a response from Chase, other wise it may be time to collect a class action suit.  This is a clear scam by Chase.

Rich3
Explorer C

I just called Chase to check on the status of my CC offer from two months ago, which was, like many of you, 40,000 points after 1000 dollars spent in the first 3 months, 69 dollars per year fee, and 3000 points every anniversary.   This exact offer is STILL up right now on the Chase CC application site.

They also gave me 200 dollars off on a flight I booked AFTER I got the card, along with 10,000 points...both of which I should have questioned immediately, but at the time didn't think they were in exchange for the original offer I signed up for.

When I called Chase, the customer service rep told me that if I wanted the original offer I signed up for, they would only CONSIDER it, but would take the other offers back.  OK...no problem!

The fact that I and other posters here said they can't send you a confirmation of the exact offer you signed up for is all the evidence I (or a class action lawsuit) would need to convict Chase for this blatant, obvious bait and switch in court.  I've also got a very considerable amount of money in a checking account with Chase, and will be pulling it every penny if I don't get what I signed up for....AND badmouthing them back to the stone age with every person I know.

To all the other victims here...I would also call the Southwest Exectutive line, at 855-234-4654, option #5, to complain directly to Southwest, if for nothing else than to put pressure on Chase to cut this COMPLETELY transparent and illegal bait and switch.

After a 20 or so minute wait on hold, I got a very sympathetic agent on the line, who spent 20 minutes talking to me about the issue and getting all the details, promising a couple day response from SW about their interaction with Chase to resolve this issue.

I'll keep you posted if I get any justice...