Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

California Chase credit card Companion Pass offer

RonRN18
Explorer C

I see that if I apply for a Southwest Chase credit card before the end of the month, once I use it, I can get a Companion Pass. From what I've been able to gather from looking, is that this allows you to basically get tickets for two people for the price of one (and taxes for the second) until the end of 2018. My question is, is this for one trip or for every trip you make for the year? My question is because we plan on making multiple trips from Northern California to Southern California throughout the year. It would save us a quite a bit of money to go 2-for-1 each time, but not as big of a deal if it can only be used once. 

Also, how does booking change with Companion Pass... does it automatically become an option online when you have it?

Another thing I see is after spending $1,000 during the first three months, you can get 40,000 points... it appears that it is often around 2600-3000 points for a single flight to/from Northern and Southern California, so that is over 10 flight legs, if Companion Pass comes into play for each flight, that would be many round trips for the two of us. It seems like it can be read like that, but I have been misled before by taking what is said literally. For example, I got a Sam's Club credit card that advertised a complimentary membership. I understood that to be I wouldn't have to pay for my membership to Sam's Club. There wasn't any clarification anywhere as to what it meant but I was informed by customer service at Sam's Club that what they meant by that was I could get a complimentary second card for my spouse. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: California Chase credit card Companion Pass offer

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

The way the normal Companion Pass works is,  Every flight you take you can add a Companion Pass.  You would book your flight first then you can add your Companion at anytime, you do not have to add at time of purchase.   You would simply log into you Rapid Rewards account and view upcoming flights.  You will see in blue text  "Add Companion".  When you do add a Companion and need to make changes to your ticket you will have to call on the phone to make any changes.  You can do it online,  you would need to cancel the Companion flight first wait a few minuts then make changes to your flight, then you can add the Companion again. 

I would check the fine print on your offer.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

2,600 to 3,000 points per leg seems low, but depending on sales in effect at the time and taking flights in off-peak hours the average could be reasonable.

Last minute bookings for popular routes might be a bit more.

I don't have the details on the California Companion Pass, but assuming these are all shorter flights within the state the cost in $ or points would tend to be less.

Regular companion pass would apply to any flight the passholder books, assuming California also applies in a similar way to flights within California.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

mjbroad
Explorer C

I applied and received the card the last week of November.  Made some purchases.  When can I expect to receive the information on the companion pass?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@mjbroad

It can take up to a month for your account to reflect all activity. Welcome to the program!

falcn61
Explorer C

I also got the card near the end of November and made purchases. As of 1/12/18 still no companion pass.

wgungl
Explorer C

I applied for the card on February 4 and received the card.  But there is no mention of the Companion Pass offer in the information that came with the card.  Is there a confirmation that I am in the program?  A place to confirm that I'm "in"!  I would hate to make the thousands of dollars of qualifying purchases only to find out I am not in the program!  Thanks for your anticipated help!  Wayne

dfwskier
Aviator A

@wgungl wrote:

I applied for the card on February 4 and received the card.  But there is no mention of the Companion Pass offer in the information that came with the card.  Is there a confirmation that I am in the program?  A place to confirm that I'm "in"!  I would hate to make the thousands of dollars of qualifying purchases only to find out I am not in the program!  Thanks for your anticipated help!  Wayne

I think others have said that they only received standard credit card terms paperwork when they got their cards, so your best bet is to call Chase for confirmation.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

The materials Chase sends with the card never mention the specific sign-up offer, just the terms and conditions of the account. Just call the number on the back of the card and the Chase rep can verify the promotion for you.