Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: California Companion Pass through 2019 - Credit Card Offer

scbsball293
Explorer C

Apologies for the delayed response, if you click on the image I posted of the terms and conditions does it make it any larger?  If not I can figure out a way to send you the screenshot.

Best of luck getting this resolved, so frustrating.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hey Everyone, 

Lots of good questions on this thread. Your patronage is important to us, and we always want to take the time to make sure we're addressing your concerns. If this particular situation pertains to you, please send me a private message with your Rapid Rewards number, and I'll take a look into it. 

California Companion Pass through 2019 - Credit Card Offer

PMarinecum
Explorer C

Reviving an old thread.......anyone have any luck on this? 

I too earned over 110k points on my one Southwest card in 2017, and applied for a new Southwest card in November 2017 to get the promotional companion pass since the Terms & Conditions clearly stated that these would stack and supersede through Dec 31, 2019.  Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 3.36.23 PM.pngWhen I called into customer service, the rep was probably the least helpful person I've ever dealt with, and Lindsey (the Moderator from above) has not anwered my personal message yet.  Thanks in advance!

-Paul

Concerned SouthWest Frequent Flier 

Mrkmbb
Explorer C

I'm interested in this too. If the language is correct, then I will work to earn enough points to ensure a companion pass through Dec 2019. If it's only for the current calendar year (2018), I'm not as motivated. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Mrkmbbwrote:

I'm interested in this too. If the language is correct, then I will work to earn enough points to ensure a companion pass through Dec 2019. If it's only for the current calendar year (2018), I'm not as motivated. 

When you qualify for CP the usual (non-promotional) way, it's valid for the balance of the year in which it's earned, plus all of the following year. It's 2018 now, so if you qualify in 2018 the CP will be valid through the end of 2019.

The original point of this thread was for those who qualified in 2017, after also qualifying for the California resident promotion.

The language in the terms and conditions of the promo would seem to say that those people (who qualified in both ways in 2017) would get CP validity through the end of 2019, instead of only 2018. However, Southwest is now denying that.

My guess is that the disclosure author assumed those qualifying the "normal" way would do so in 2018 (not 2017). I'm surprised that this escaped compliance/legal review, as it can absolutely be interpreted as those who qualified in 2017 (both ways) suggest it does.

Southwest appears to be playing hardball on this one. Likely backed up by a generic statement somewhere in the general Rapid Rewards terms and conditions that absolves them of responsibility for "typos" or that allows them to change any offer at any time.

I'll repeat my earlier advice:

I would suggest those who qualified via both methods but are now being denied the pass through 2019 contact a lawyer for their opinion. While Southwest could claim that they aren't responsible for typos, the language in the offer can absolutely be interpreted as meaning exactly that. A strongly worded letter from a legal representative might elicit a favorable outcome. Good luck.

PMarinecum
Explorer C

bump

liz_zimbelman
Explorer C

Can a purchase be made anytime aftre you get the card to get the companion pass?

SCALNancy
Explorer C

Lindsey,

This situation pertains to me too. I qualified with over 110,000 miles in 2017 as well as with the CA Companion Pass and should have companion status through 2019.  You can check my RR account for the exact details.  I"m not sure if this is going to you privately, so I will not be posting my account info here until I hear back from you.

Thank you,

Nancy

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SCALNancy wrote:

Lindsey,

This situation pertains to me too. I qualified with over 110,000 miles in 2017 as well as with the CA Companion Pass and should have companion status through 2019.  You can check my RR account for the exact details.  I"m not sure if this is going to you privately, so I will not be posting my account info here until I hear back from you.

Thank you,

Nancy

It's probably best if you contact Lindsey directly. To do so, click on her name (in the post above) and then choose Send a Message.

ramos2400
Explorer C

Hey so I applied for my card last month and put on the charges required for the points however when I called they said it could take 3 months for them to show up. The person on the phone said if they dont post till next year they wont apply this year hence me missing the companion level. IS THIS REAL!