Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can my designated companion earn his own companion pass?

klrhodes
Explorer C

I currently have companion pass status through 2019 and have designated my husband as my companion. We would like to sign up for the current credit card offers under his name and earn a companion pass status for him in late 2019 which will then count through 2020. Can he earn a companion pass status in 2019 even though he is already listed as my companion? If so, can he list me as his companion? In other words, can we mutually be each other's designated companions? (For better or for worse and all that...)

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can my designated companion earn his own companion pass?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@klrhodes wrote:

I currently have companion pass status through 2019 and have designated my husband as my companion. We would like to sign up for the current credit card offers under his name and earn a companion pass status for him in late 2019 which will then count through 2020. Can he earn a companion pass status in 2019 even though he is already listed as my companion? If so, can he list me as his companion? In other words, can we mutually be each other's designated companions? (For better or for worse and all that...)

Yes! The scenario might be that each of you flys for business on a frequent basis and wants to bring the other person - that would work as you described.

You are only able to use the CP for revenue flight though, so the question comes up periodically that it would NOT be possible for you to book a flight, take hubby as companion, and then have him take someone else as his companion - only the person paying for the flight can bring a companion. ($, LUV, points, travel funds all count as revenue, flying as companion or Southwest promotional flights, employee non-revenue flights don't count.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Agree with David.

I have a suggestion, though.

Why not have hubby earn the passs in the first three or four months of 2020 so that it could be used for the balance of 2020 as well as all of 2021?

bec102896
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Agree with David.

I have a suggestion, though.

Why not have hubby earn the passs in the first three or four months of 2020 so that it could be used for the balance of 2020 as well as all of 2021?

I had the same thought that way you have the companion pass all of 2019 2020 and 2021 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

If both are flying for business a lot, I’d go for it now if you aren’t sure what the future will be.

Also if OP earned CP without a bonus this year, just keep doing that....hubby can try to earn it in any cycle where it would be used the most.

if OP doesn’t plan to make it a recurring status, hold off so they don’t overlap as much.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

klrhodes
Explorer C

Thank you! I did earn the CP without a bonus, and he does travel for business.