Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelling a flight booked with points

mcci
Explorer C

What is the latest I can cancel a reservation made with points?

Also, will I receive a refund of the point to my Rapid Rewards account?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Cancelling a flight booked with points

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

10 minutes prior to scheduled departure time: All passengers must obtain their boarding passes and be in the gate area available for boarding at least 10 minutes prior to your flight’s scheduled departure time. If not, Southwest may cancel your reserved space and you will not be eligible for denied boarding compensation.

If you do not plan to travel on your flight: In accordance with Southwest’s No Show Policy, you must notify Southwest at least 10 minutes prior to your flight’s scheduled departure if you do not plan to travel on the flight. If not, Southwest will cancel your reservation and all funds will be forfeited.

Yes you will get your points back into your account!  Also when you cancel a points ticket you can get a refund back to your credit card for the security fee but You must choose this option or you will have a credit with that conformation # 

Re: Cancelling a flight booked with points

rzappala
Explorer C

@franktravel wrote:

10 minutes prior to scheduled departure time: All passengers must obtain their boarding passes and be in the gate area available for boarding at least 10 minutes prior to your flight’s scheduled departure time. If not, Southwest may cancel your reserved space and you will not be eligible for denied boarding compensation.

If you do not plan to travel on your flight: In accordance with Southwest’s No Show Policy, you must notify Southwest at least 10 minutes prior to your flight’s scheduled departure if you do not plan to travel on the flight. If not, Southwest will cancel your reservation and all funds will be forfeited.

Yes you will get your points back into your account!  Also when you cancel a points ticket you can get a refund back to your credit card for the security fee but You must choose this option or you will have a credit with that conformation # 

I just cancelled two reward reservations by phone call with a reservation representative (which I could not due on-line due to an error I was getting) and was told that with a change that was made last May, the $11.20 taxes per person are no longer refunded to your credit card.  The fees are held for future travel usage and must be used within one year from the date the reservation was originally made.  

By the way, I could not cancel my reservations using my desktop computer using 3 different browers...got either an error or blank sceen.  The SW app did work, but due to the change it did not give option to refund fees to my credit card....that's why I called to check with the phone rep.