Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changed flight

Tabbycat1290
Explorer C

Hello! I changed my flight to see if I could get a cheaper one and ended up having $66 credit back...is that going to go back on my card that I booked the flight with before? This is all new to me and I want to make sure I get the $66 back

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Changed flight

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

The credit will be held as travel funds which is good for a year from when you originally purchased the flight. The travel funds are only valid for the passenger(s) who is/are associated with that flight. The funds are non transferable and travel must be booked and completed by the expiration date. 

-Blake 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

No, the credit is held as Travel Funds, good towards future travel for up to one year from the original date of purchase by the original passenger(s) only. All travel must be completed by the expiration.

You apply those Travel Funds using the confirmation number of the original flight as a payment method when you book. If you were logged in when you booked & made the change, you can see and track those Travel Funds under the My Account section of the Southwest website.

Tabbycat1290
Explorer C

What if I don't use it? I'm not a constant flyer and doubt I will be booking another flight anytime soon...thanks for replying, honestly if I would have known that I would have just left it where it was...just thought I could save myself some money

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Tabbycat1290 wrote:

What if I don't use it? I'm not a constant flyer and doubt I will be booking another flight anytime soon...thanks for replying, honestly if I would have known that I would have just left it where it was...just thought I could save myself some money

Unfortunately, if you don't use it prior to expiration you do lose it. That said, repricing is a great idea since you have the funds available to you now should you need them. If you don't use them, no harm no foul. One very important thing to keep in mind though: If you do apply travel funds to a new flight, all funds from that new flight take on the earliest expiration date of travel funds you used. Which means that if you need to cancel that new flight, those funds won't have the full year from purchase in which to be used. Just something to be aware of. You might want to not use travel funds on flights where are there is a strong chance of making changes or cancellation.