Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing a flight booked with points for myself and companion

elizabeth230
Explorer C

I booked a flight for myself and my companion using points. I would like to change this flight because I realized that it is a bit cheaper if we leave 2 days earlier. I understand that I must first cancel my companion's flight, then change my own, then rebook the companion ticket, but I am now wondering how quickly my points will be refunded. I do not have enough point in my account to choose a new flight without my points from the original flight being put back into my account first. How quickly can I expect to see the points back in my account? Thanks!

ETA: Also wondering about the fees associated with the original purchase ticket. It was $83 in fees for each of us. As I understand, these fees will not be refunded, however they will be credited to my account as Unused Travel Funds which I can then apply towards changing the flights. Is that correct?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Changing a flight booked with points for myself and companion

franktravel
Aviator B

Its very quick.  log out of your account then log back in and the points will be back in your account 

bec102896
Aviator A

The best thing to do is give southwest a call at 800-435-9792 and they can make the change for you no problem without needing to cancel and the difference in points would go back to the rapid rewards account. 

if you cancel the ticket the points go back in to your account within seconds from all of my past experiences just a simple log out and log back in to the account but I would make the change just to make sure you have a seat because if you cancel and go to re book the new flight could change prices for your ticket and that would be bad if you don't have the points difference to re book. 

Hope this helps 

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@elizabeth230 wrote:

ETA: Also wondering about the fees associated with the original purchase ticket. It was $83 in fees for each of us. As I understand, these fees will not be refunded, however they will be credited to my account as Unused Travel Funds which I can then apply towards changing the flights. Is that correct?

This was an international flight? You should be able to re-use the fees with the confirmation number and passenger names.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.