Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing name on Rapid rewards from Nickname to birth name

quiltincin
Explorer C

I have had a rapid rewards account since before 911.  I have always used my given name which is a nick name of my birth name.  Southwest wants me to send in my OLD and NEW id to do a name change.  I don't have an old and new id, since I'm not legally changing anything.  Can I just send in a copy of my drivers license that shows my birth (Legal) name and they will update my account?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Changing name on Rapid rewards from Nickname to birth name

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Southwest is basically asking for proof that you are the same person and not two different people trying to transfer an account from one person to the other. I don't know how you can accomplish this without old and new identification. It's the same process as someone who gets married and changes their last name.

A different idea would be to just create a new account with the correct information. Now this isn't the really an option if you have A-List status or a Companion Pass as you would lose access to them. If you have points accrued under the nickname account you can still use them to purchase flights for you under the "new" name, but no new points would go into that account. Just an idea, it depends a lot on your current situation. If you're an infrequent flyer there's probably very little downside to doing this. 

--TheMiddleSeat 

Re: Changing name on Rapid rewards from Nickname to birth name

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

What's the issue causing the change, maybe signing up for PreCheck or some other reason that it isn't working with your nickname any longer?

Maybe you have some utility bills or something else that you used for PreCheck that can show both names if that's the driver.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.