Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chase SWA visa question

taco99
Explorer B

I've had the Chase SWA visa card in the past and would like to sign up for it again.  The Chase website says the following:

"This new Cardmember bonus offer is not available to ....previous Cardmembers of this business credit card who received a new Cardmember bonus for this business credit card within the last 24 months."

So there's a two year rule on bonuses.  I previously applied in 12/2017, and was approved.  That was over two years ago.  But presumably I would have received the bonus points about 90 days later, which is approximately 3-2018.  That's within the two year moratorium.   But once again, I'll be at least 90 days into the future actually receiving any bonus points.

Does anyone know which of these dates Chase uses, and whether I'm able to get this promotion now, or not?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Chase SWA visa question

dfwskier
Aviator A

I read the words as you can't receive two bonuses within 24 months.

Anyone else read it differently?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

I read the words as you can't receive two bonuses within 24 months.

Anyone else read it differently?

I can see it where if you apply within 23 months of your last bonus then the application may not be flagged to earn another bonus even though by the time the bonus would be awarded is > 24 months.

I would suggest to call Chase and clarify, or just wait if the timing isn’t that important.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

taco99
Explorer B
Solution

If anyone is curious, here's the real answer to this question, per Chase. 

I opened my last Chase Rapid Rewards card in 12/2017.   My SWA mileage bonus appeared on my 2/2018 statement, which closed on 2/10/18.   Chase now says I have to wait until 3/2020 to open a card that will be eligible for a new bonus. 

So not only does Chase use the later date (bonus posting date versus account open date) they also make you clear the remainder of the month in which the bonus was posted, even if it has been over 2 years.   My first account was opened in 12/17, and the new one can't open until 3/2020.   So arguably, that's 27 months from account open date to account open date.  So if you're near the 24 month deadline and want to go back in for a second bonus, be very careful or you might open an account that is ineligible for bonus. 

Hope this helps someone.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@taco99 wrote:

If anyone is curious, here's the real answer to this question, per Chase. 

I opened my last Chase Rapid Rewards card in 12/2017.   My SWA mileage bonus appeared on my 2/2018 statement, which closed on 2/10/18.   Chase now says I have to wait until 3/2020 to open a card that will be eligible for a new bonus. 

So not only does Chase use the later date (bonus posting date versus account open date) they also make you clear the remainder of the month in which the bonus was posted, even if it has been over 2 years.   My first account was opened in 12/17, and the new one can't open until 3/2020.   So arguably, that's 27 months from account open date to account open date.  So if you're near the 24 month deadline and want to go back in for a second bonus, be very careful or you might open an account that is ineligible for bonus. 

Hope this helps someone.  

This makes sense, as Chase never refers to the account open date, just the date the bonus was received.

"This new Cardmember bonus offer is not available to ....previous Cardmembers of this business credit card who received a new Cardmember bonus for this business credit card within the last 24 months."

Additionally, the bonus points aren't actually received until the monthly statement close date, following which the points are sent to Southwest.