Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass - Changing Companion after Booked Flight with Companion

wckreation
Explorer C

Hi, 

I have already booked a flight for a companion (my friend) for early May. However, I have a trip coming up the weekend after and I would like to designate a new companion (my wife). If I change my companion now from my friend to my wife, will the first trip's reservation for my friend still be valid? I would like to book the second trip as soon as possible but am scared to mess with the companion pass right now. 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion Pass - Changing Companion after Booked Flight with Companion

franktravel
Aviator B

Your friend has to take the trip first, then you can change to your wife.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

To clarify, you should book your own ticket now if you haven't already - you can add the companion later after you change it after the flight with your friend.

I'm not sure about the time it takes to change the companion. In case there is any hiccup and if you wanted your wife to go with you either way, you might want to book her on points as a backup.

Then when companion pass is ready, you can add companion and cancel the points. If the flight is sold out you will need to call and do this.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

Hello

@DancingDavidE and @franktravel are both correct on you needing to complete travel for the one companion before you can change you companion as well as you should book your ticket and the companion can be added later after the travel with your first companion is complete. Just a reminder though that you can only change the companion 3 times per qualifying year and another thing to note is it can take up to 10 days for processing your new companion as they mail out a new companion card in the mail and it took about 7 days for me to receive my new card after I changed my companion 

hope this helps

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

So for @bec102896's example, if he got his card in the mail in seven days, the online processing was probably a few days ahead of that and may have been available on-line...but there will certainly be some amount of time in between when you request a change and when you can book...just beware, in the example it would be enough time as long as seats were still available on your flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.