Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Designation Rues

rendeazy
Explorer C

I have been a Rapid Rewards member for many years, and almost exclusively fly Southwest for domestic travel.  I am on my third Companion Pass, and unfortunately, I have had limited opportunities to use it.  I believe that the current rules favor families versus single working professionals like me. I would like to propose that the current Companion Pass rules be modified to allow for ANYONE to travel with the CP holder.  The need to designate an individual for the year is unfair to people in my position.  I don't have a specific individual that I travel with regularly.  I may want to travel with a friend, a colleague, or perhaps my grandmother on any given flight.  

What do you guys think about a campaign to have all CP users write a note to SW about this?  For those of you who don't have families, do you feel you are getting good use from your CP?  In over two years of having one, I may have used it 3-4 times total!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion Pass Designation Rues

franktravel
Aviator B

Not sure this helps you but... The Member may, however, change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass card up to three (3) times each calendar year that the Member maintains Companion Pass status.

Good Luck! 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @rendeazy,

The Companion Pass is an awesome perk, and we want everyone to be able to enjoy it. Like, @franktravel mentioned, we offer Members the ability to change their Companion up to three times throughout the year. (Meaning you can actually have four different people travel with you during the time you have the Companion Pass). Hopefully that helps out! 

mw5000
Explorer C

Hi @LindseyD

Does this mean each of the assigned member can keep ther companion pass?  for example, i will issue one for my wife first. But she is too busy to come on a trip.  I issued one to my sister so she can come with me.  She has a CP card now.   Down the road,  when my sister cannot come with me to a trip.  Can i just take my wife to come on a trip with me without using my third re-issuance for companion pass? 

hopefully that makes sense.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@mw5000 wrote:

Hi @LindseyD

Does this mean each of the assigned member can keep ther companion pass?  for example, i will issue one for my wife first. But she is too busy to come on a trip.  I issued one to my sister so she can come with me.  She has a CP card now.   Down the road,  when my sister cannot come with me to a trip.  Can i just take my wife to come on a trip with me without using my third re-issuance for companion pass? 

hopefully that makes sense.  

No. After the initial selection of your Companion (which doesn't count as a change), you can change the designated Companion up to three times per year. You'd need to change it back to your wife, which would be the second change. This leaves you one more change this year. If you re-qualify for the CP next year, on Jan. 1 the counter restes and you are given three more changes.