Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Duration

scottbauer
Explorer C

Hi,

Per the Soutwest Tiers and Companion Pass FAQ on How Long Does A Companion Pass Last?:

"Rapid Rewards® Companion Pass qualification will be based on the calendar year. Once it is earned, you will begin enjoying the benefits immediately after designating a companion. You will maintain your Companion Pass for the remainder of the calendar year in which you qualified and the entire calendar year immediately following the year in which you qualified. To continue receiving Companion Pass privileges, you must re-qualify each calendar year. Companion Pass qualification earned through a promotional offer may have different privileges and you should refer to the terms associated with such promotional offer."

I qualified in April 2019. When I went to book a flight in 2020 there was no Companion Pass link. So based on the above shouldn't there be a link for a 2020 flight?

[Note that I do have a Comanion Pass flight booked for December. But can't you book multiple Companion Pass flights as long as they have the same companion and they don't overlap with each other??]

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Companion Pass Duration

bec102896
Aviator A

Was your companion pass earned through a promotion by chance? If so then that may be why you can't book for 2020. 

If you earned the pass earning the 110,000 points or 100 one way flights you should be able to book flights for 2020 if you earned the pass this year. 

I  recommend calling Reservations at 800-435-9792 and they can look to see what's going on. You could also reach out to southwest on Twitter and they can help take a look in to why you can't add the companion.

-Blake  

scottbauer
Explorer C

Thanks Blake.  Yes, the Companion Pass was part of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa offer through Chase. So there might be some "fine print" about promotional passes being exceptions to this that wasn't noted in FAQ.

SWDigits
Aviator A
You'd have to check the terms of the promotion you signed up for but the Chase CP promotion I saw earlier this year was for 2019 only.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@scottbauer wrote:

Thanks Blake.  Yes, the Companion Pass was part of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa offer through Chase. So there might be some "fine print" about promotional passes being exceptions to this that wasn't noted in FAQ.

Actually, no fine print at all if this is what you signed up for...

https://slickdeals.net/article/list/earn-a-2019-southwest-companion-pass-30k-points-with-a-new-south...

scottbauer
Explorer C

Not sure if that was the actual link I used, but pretty much the same offer I'm sure.