Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Issues

soupadupa10
Explorer C

Hi Everyone - 

Looking for some ideas to get Southwest and Chase to take action and provide the service that they should.  

Chase is refusing to "report" my last statement balance therefore depriving me of the bonus that I have earned.  I am very aware that you must qualify before year end and that the reporting is done upon statement balance.  Here is the history.  

My statement balance date has always been the 19th of the month, 3 days after my credit card is due (which I also understand does not matter whether you pay or not it is just about spend).  

On December 13th, I was doing some accounting and clean up of all of my accounts and I decided that I wanted to change my payment due date to the 28th of the month to more align with months' end.  Before changing this due date, Chase had a warning screen that says "Before you begin, your current payment is due on the original due date you see on your last statement.  Your new due date will take effect the next billing cycle and will appear on your next statement."  

I was not trying to "game" the system whatsoever and buy more time.  I had ALREADY qualified based on my initial December 19th date.  And based on the warning, my new due date would take effect on the next billing cycle, and Chase would still report on December 19th as usual.  

HOWEVER, when I speak to Chase they are informing me that because I changed my due date that they are now going to report my statement on January 3rd.  Chase has not reported any of my activity to Southwest since November 19th so now they are going to NOT report until January 3rd? This is absolutely ridiculous.  

Both Chase and Southwest need to step up and make this right.  It is completely in their best interest to NOT give me my benefit because they can save money.  This is absolutely bad business and I have completely qualified based on all of their requirements.  My chase bank site even still shows my statement date as December 19th.  To top it off, even if they are going to tell me that they want to go off the Dec 28th date, 3 days later would be December 31 which is still a business day and they can easily report from that day.  

What am I missing here? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion Pass Issues

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

This is 100% between you and Chase and is not something Southwest can assist you with. At this point I don't suspect anything can be done, based on the dates provided I don't see how points will post in 2019. Unfortunately this is a painful lesson you've learned to not mess with anything when you are counting on the final statement of the year to qualify for a Companion Pass. You're better off waiting until January to make adjustments.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

"HOWEVER, when I speak to Chase they are informing me that because I changed my due date that they are now going to report my statement on January 3rd.  Chase has not reported any of my activity to Southwest since November 19th so now they are going to NOT report until January 3rd? "

responding to the above

Several points here:

1) Chase is in total control over how and when it adds RR points. SW has no contol over the situation

2) January 3 sounds pretty arbitrary.Why not Dec 27, or Januay 10 or...any other date.

The 3rd has no correlation with anything to do with you.

I'd call Chase and demand to talk with a superisor. Being that it's the end of the year and, like you, lots of people are calling in I'm not sure that will get you anywhere..

3) You can complain to Southwest, but I'm not sure what the airline can do except let Chase know that somone has complained.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

4) Earlier in the month, I would have suggested a letter to Chase's CEO, but with 37 hours to go til 2020 that won't work.

dfwskier
Aviator A

There are options to earning a few points before the end of the year - just in case Chase does not come through for you

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

arielle
Explorer C

I changed my due date in October, and same thing happened - didn't get a statement that month and all points posted in November when my new due date hit. I honestly wouldn't have messed with it so close to the end of the year if you had already had enough to qualify..