Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Promotion - do you have to just fly or book and fly within the time period?

KW26
Explorer C

I received an email from Southwest about getting a companion pass if I complete a number of roundtrip flights in a given period but even after reading the fine print I am a little confused. I already had a couple of flights booked that are within the given period but do this not count because I booked them before I registered? Thanks! I would love to get a companion pass!

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Companion Pass Promotion - do you have to just fly or book and fly within the time period?

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

In the e-mail fine ptint does it say travel must be booked and completed by?  if it were me I would cancel & book flights again.   Hopefully the price stayed the same!   If you have to pay a little more for the flights, that's not bad if your going to get the companion pass for diong it. 

Just my opinion! 

Re: Companion Pass Promotion - do you have to just fly or book and fly within the time period?

grobbins
Explorer C

Hello - I had a similar question.  I read the following part of the fine print:

"Member must register for this promotion between July 7, 2016 and October 31, 2016 and registration must be completed prior to commencement of travel."

The "commencement of travel" makes it seem like the travel could have been booked before, but as long as the actual flight takes place after registering for the promotion, it should be counted.  I hope that someone from SW can weigh in on this.

gpeterson86
Explorer C

i read that too, but i think the "and" means both registered and booked.  So, I don't think it does.  I rebooked two flights myself.  Paid an extra $19.

BullsFan
Adventurer A

that's the best way for sure- enjoy the CP- helluva perk!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @KW26,

Without seeing your specific promotion, it is hard for me to give you an absolute. However, I can tell you that in almost all cases with these promotions, the requirement is that you 1) register for the promotion 2) book travel, and then 3) complete travel, in that exact order. 

With most of our promotions, travel that has been purchased prior to registering for the promotion does not qualify. You can cancel and rebook the travel to qualify, just know that there is the possiblity of a difference in fare. 

bcmomand
Explorer C

Hello,

I'm curious about the language on this offer (see below)...in the first highlighted area, it says travel must "originate from or end in" one of the California airports. In the second, it states "to or from" one of the California airports. These seem to be contradicting. I have several flights booked from PDX to one of the airports listed and returning to PDX. Will these count towards the promotion?

Thanks

B

Hey California, earn Companion Pass faster.

Details

Want to bring a friend to fly free* with you through 2017? Here’s your chance. Register now, and then book and complete 5 roundtrip revenue flights (or 10 one-way revenue flights) from/to California between July 7 and October 31, 2016, and you’ll earn Companion Pass through December 31, 2017. That’s it. Fly five and a friend flies free* with you through 2017.

*Does not include taxes and fees from $5.60 one way

Registered

Terms and Conditions:

Only the Rapid Rewards® Member who received this offer from Southwest Airlines® is eligible for this promotion. Offer is nontransferable. Member must register for this promotion between July 7, 2016 and October 31, 2016 and registration must be completed prior to commencement of travel. Member must complete five qualifying roundtrip revenue flights (or ten one way revenue flights) originating from or returning to a qualifying Southwest served California airport between July 7, 2016 and October 31, 2016. Member must enter their Rapid Rewards number in their reservation for flights to count toward qualification. Qualifying Southwest served California airports are Ontario International Airport (ONT), John Wayne Airport (SNA), Burbank Bob Hope Airport (BUR), Long Beach Airport (LGB), Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Oakland International Airport (OAK), San Francisco International Airport (SFO), Sacramento International Airport (SMF), San Jose International Airport (SJC) and San Diego International Airport (SAN). A Member who books five qualifying revenue roundtrip flights (or 10 one way revenue flights) through Southwest Airlines to or from a qualifying Southwest served California airport between July 7, 2016 and October 31, 2016 with travel completed between July 7, 2016 and October 31, 2016 will qualify for Companion Pass which entitles Member to designate a companion to fly for free (does not include taxes and fees from $5.60 one way)anywhere with the Member on the same Southwest Airlines flight that is purchased (with cash or points) by the Member. Companion Pass is valid from the time promotion qualifications are met through December 31, 2017. Companion Pass travel is subject to the government-imposed September 11th Security Fee of $5.60 per one-way trip and any foreign government taxes/fees if traveling international, all of which must be paid by credit card when the reservation is made. Any additional tax liability, if imposed, is the responsibility of the Companion Pass traveler. Award, Companion Pass, Southwest Vacations® Packages, Southwest Charter flights, and reward travel do not qualify for this promotion. Bookings made prior to July 7, 2016 or prior to registering for this promotion are ineligible. Changes made to itineraries after purchase may eliminate qualification for promotion. Please allow up to 15 business days after qualifying for Companion Pass to receive your notification to designate your companion. Visit Southwest.com® to review the full Companion Pass program rules and regulations. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @bcmomand,

Your flights will count, so long as you 1) registered for the promotion, 2) booked your reservation between July 7 and October 31, and 3) complete travel between July 7 and October 31. 

The language isn't contradictory, it's saying the same thing with different words. Originating = "from" and End = "to."

bcmomand
Explorer C

Thank you for answering.

B

Lisa818
Explorer C

I didn't see thevfine print about the booking being required after the registration date because it was near the end. In the beginning it just stated that you had complete the travel within that time period.

Ugh! It's so frustrating because  I just finished the third of five trips a few days ago and I think it was booked on 6/28. If so, it's too late to rebook now. I looked on my account and it didn't show dates. Where can I find out how many eligible trips I have completed?