Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Question

Jayandruk
Explorer C

It looks like due to some large pruchases on my SW Visa this year I am going to earn a companion pass for the first time ever.  My questions is, can I get refunded for flights I have already booked for next year if I make one of my kids traveling with me my companion?  I know I could cancel a reservation and hold it for a year but that would not be helpful because that person would be able to fly free with me all year anyway and the credit would expire.  I suppose I could name one kid as my companion, cancel their already booked flights, take the early year trips, then chnage my companion to my other kid and use the credit from the first kid to book flights later in the year.  Will that work if needed? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion Pass Question

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jayandruk wrote:

It looks like due to some large pruchases on my SW Visa this year I am going to earn a companion pass for the first time ever.  My questions is, can I get refunded for flights I have already booked for next year if I make one of my kids traveling with me my companion?  I know I could cancel a reservation and hold it for a year but that would not be helpful because that person would be able to fly free with me all year anyway and the credit would expire.  I suppose I could name one kid as my companion, cancel their already booked flights, take the early year trips, then chnage my companion to my other kid and use the credit from the first kid to book flights later in the year.  Will that work if needed? 

Congrats on getting to companion pass status.

You couldn't have booked too many flights for next year as the schedule for days after 1/5/20 only opened about  40 hours ago. If you did book in the last 40 hours, remember you have 24 hours from booking any flight to cancel that flight and get a refund.

I'm unaware of SW issuing refunds (after 24 hours) on WGA tickets for any reason short of the death of the traveller.

Abset refunds, The method you suggested:

"I suppose I could name one kid as my companion, cancel their already booked flights, take the early year trips, then chnage my companion to my other kid and use the credit from the first kid to book flights later in the year.  Will that work if needed? "

is your best way forward.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Jayandruk wrote:

I suppose I could name one kid as my companion, cancel their already booked flights, take the early year trips, then chnage my companion to my other kid and use the credit from the first kid to book flights later in the year.  Will that work if needed? 

You'll want to be careful with the timing with this approach but I think you can make it work.

A few key points to keep in mind, assuming you booked Wanna Get Away fares.  Based on your note it looks like you are already aware but I'm writing just in case:

• You have one year from the date you purchased your original ticket to complete any rebooked travel with your travel funds.
  • Rebooked travel needs to be in the same name as the original ticket.

Those are the two top of mind but other customers may have additional tips for you.

Congrats on the Companion Pass 🙂

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Jayandruk wrote:

I suppose I could name one kid as my companion, cancel their already booked flights, take the early year trips, then chnage my companion to my other kid and use the credit from the first kid to book flights later in the year.  Will that work if needed? 

No - the travel funds can only be used by the originally named passenger.

in this scenario the benefit would be to use companion pass on a kid that would still be flying another time not as companion, or for additional passengers not already ticketed.

The hindsight recommendation for anyone else in similar scenario is to book with points for one of the kids, then refund the points and substitute companion booking when you earn CP.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@Jayandruk wrote:

One idea I have is for the childs reservation you cancel and make the companion you can use the travel funds from the canceled flight to pay the $5.60 fee each way (or higher for international flights) when you rebook the child as the companion. Just be sure you use the remainder of the funds by the expiration date which is one year from the original reservations booking date. 

Hope this helps!

Blake