Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Strategy - Questions

plab
Explorer C

I have had companion pass status for the past two years, and have really enjoyed it.  Planning ahead for next year, with a job change pending, it looks as if I may (narrowly) not qualify at my current rate of point accrual.  I understand that buying additional points does not move me toward companion pass status, but if I use the SW website to book hotels, do the points that accrue by doing so count toward companion class status?  In viewing the website's promo messages, it appears that I could rather easily earn 11,000 points in one week and the cost would only slightly increase my lodging costs.  What's the deal?  And, other than the obvious, (ie, flying more, upgrading fares, buying more stuff), are there any other strategies I might employ to ensure that I maintain companion pass status for next year?  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Companion Pass Strategy - Questions

dfwskier
Aviator A

"it appears that I could rather easily earn 11,000 points in one week and the cost would only slightly increase my lodging costs.  

Sounds like that's the easiest way to go. Bonus points offers from Southwwest shopping might be another - depending on how many points you end up needing

Re: Companion Pass Strategy - Questions

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Check out all the ways you can pad your CP qualification points here.  Of course, the other way to get lots of CP qualifying points is to get a RR Chase credit card, but I understand that may not be the best choice for everyone!

-A List, Companion Pass holder