Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass With 11 Year Old Daughter! Can't Sit Together! Help!

jdariyanani
Explorer C

I am an A List Preferred Member with a companion pass.  My 11 year old daughter is my companion and sometimes I take her with me on business trips when she's on vacation or out of school.  It's always so stressful, because even if I get her early bird boarding, I have an A list preferred seat and she gets a C.  I have to wonder, do I let her board alone with the C's-will they even let her board?  If we go in C together, will we be able to sit together?  Family boarding is only for 6 and under, which seems sort of barbaric.  I mean if you would charge somebody to fly alone as a UM, why would you make them sit alone?  Seems like that at least ought to be the age cut off.  Seems like it would be relatively easy for you all to give the companion your A List status-what ever other airline elite program does.  Please help, this is always so stressful it makes me not want to use the companion pass.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Companion Pass With 11 Year Old Daughter! Can't Sit Together! Help!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

It’s not policy to allow it, but you can always ask the gate agent if she can board out of order.

The rules don’t allow it obviously, but some may give you the okay.

Otherwise hopefully getting early bird would help a little bit and not get C Positions, or upgrade at the gate and have her go before you.

Otherwise it’s a known issue that there was a pilot to allow companions (of all ages) to board with CP holder which seems to have gone well, but so far no roll out nationally.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Companion Pass With 11 Year Old Daughter! Can't Sit Together! Help!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@DancingDavidE wrote:

upgrade at the gate and have her go before you.

Upgrade at the gate and board together at the higher position which will be the adult with the A-List Preferred position.

EarlyBird should provide a good enough position to allow boarding and sitting together too, but obviously not as much of a guarantee as an upgraded boarding position purchased at the gate. 

--TheMiddleSeat