Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass renewal timing

nowen87
Explorer C

I earned a Companion Pass this year - Feb 2019, with a special Chase credit card offer after spending $4000 in 3 mos. If I want to renew/earn a Companion Pass for 2020, do I need to earn 110,000 rapid rewards points by Dec 31, 2019?  And are the points I’m earning this calendar year able to be applied towards the 110,000 needed?

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Companion Pass renewal timing

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yes, the points you are earning now count towards CP for 2020. The tally of Companion Pass qualifying points resets every Jan 1 so if you want to renew it and have it on Jan 1 you'll need to earn the points before then. Alternatively you can earn all 110,000 qualifying points in 2020 (starting from 0 points on Jan 1, 2020) and you'll get CP for the remainder of 2020 and all of 2021.

--TheMiddleSeat

nowen87
Explorer C

Thank you! If I reach 110,000 by 12/31/2019, would my renewal Companion Pass be for the 2 years 2020 and 2021?

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution
No, when you earn Companion Pass it is good for the current year and the following year. In the scenario you described that would be 2019 and 2020.

Customer | Home airport DCA

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

With regards to what points qualify for Companion Pass, and the deadlines by which they need to be earned and/or post to your Rapid Rewards account, this reference has all the info you need:

2019 Rapid Rewards® Qualifying Transactions for 2020 Status

bethtaylr
Explorer C

So what if I already have a companion pass now, and I earn it again before the end of the year.  Would I have more than one for the remainder of this year, then just one next year?  Also, can I book travel today with my companion pass for actual travel next year?  Or does the travel have to complete this year?

Thanks!!

SWDigits
Aviator A

@bethtaylr wrote:

So what if I already have a companion pass now, and I earn it again before the end of the year.  Would I have more than one for the remainder of this year, then just one next year?

No, you will only have one Companion Pass.

@bethtaylr wrote:

Also, can I book travel today with my companion pass for actual travel next year?  Or does the travel have to complete this year?

On the Snapshot section of your Rapid Rewards profile you should see wording that states, "Your comanion [companion name] Earned through [date]."

You can book travel for your companion to travel with you through whatever date is listed on your profile.

Customer | Home airport DCA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

If your current CP expires Dec 31, 2019 then qualifying this year extends your expiration to Dec 31, 2020. But if your current CP expires Dec 31, 2020 then you're done qualifying for CP until Jan 1, 2020 when you can start earning towards 2021.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

This was marked solved already but to clarify - if you earned a promotional CP it may be only through this year. If so, keep earning now to supersede this year with a new CP good through end of 2020. Then keep earning every year after that if you enjoy CP.

If your promotion was for a “regular” CP, it will already be good for the rest of this year through end of 2020. In that case keep earning but your focus would be to earn points every year to keep rolling over without a gap. There isn’t a benefit other than the points themselves to keep earning in 2019 in that case - its a good time to redeem points (worth double with CP!) and then start buying flights again starting Jan 1.

I hope this helps clarify for anyone reading later that there are two CP scenarios if it is valid through end of current year, or valid through end of next year.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

BWIflyer
Explorer C

Hi, question for you. Now that they have raised the bar on CP, wouldn't it seem fair to change the CP qualifier? For ex: if you hit the requirements say mid 2019 for CP, you are good through 2020. Why not have your flights keep qualifying through the balance of 2019 to continue to add to your CP bank? Otherwise, the rest of your 2019 flights get you nothing but travel points and no CP credit. You have to wait until 2020 to start qualifying for CP again. Am I understanding that correctly?