Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass

BCC
Explorer C

I have read how you earn the Companion pass, but don't understand exactly what a "revenue flight" is.  All of my boss's points are earned from flights, no RR credit card.  We are trying to determine how many flights he needs to earn his remaining points.  How in the world do you figure it out?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Companion Pass

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Hi 

For every dollar you spend on a flight you earn points.  If you purchase a Wana get away flight you earn 6 points per and for a Anytime ticket you get 10 points per and a Business ticket you get 12 points per.  With the Southwest Chase credit card you would get the companion pass faster.  With the creidt card every dollar you spend with Southwest and partners you would earn 2 times the dollar spent.  Example if you spent $4000.00 on flights this year you missed out on 8,000 points.  Also If you get the credit card now your 25,000 or 50,000 bonous points could post before the end of the year!

Please check out my posting in Stories " Why I love Southwest"

BCC
Explorer C

Thank you.  I thought it seemed that simple, but let me confirm.  Basically, if he takes a trip and earns whatever points it shows (say 8880 using Business Select, round trip), then that is the amount of points that goes toward his Companion Pass, correct?

franktravel
Aviator B

Yes! 

BCC
Explorer C

🙂 Thank you!

jrwilker
Explorer C

Additionally I earned a companion pass for my wife in March so it is good for the remainder of this year as well as all of 2017.  So if you can bump up your points with a credit card it is worth it to try to earn your initial companion pass earlier in the year rather than later as it is always good for the remainder of the year you earn it plus the entire following year.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Regarding the questiong about "revenue" flights - the companion pass could be earned by points, but also by number of flights taken - only flights that were paid for would count towards the total, if your boss takes any flights that are paid for with points then these won't count as revenue flights.

...But it sounds like you were pursuing the points method. Hopefully he made it. If he turns out to be close again next year, consider a strategic upgrade to business select to bump up to 12x points if it is that close.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.