Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass

christyb27
Explorer C

I am working towards earning the companion pass for 2018/2019 and I was looking at some of the restrictions and I didn't know if anyone knew the answer....

So we have booked several trips/hotels through the southwest website, and then used out southwest rapid rewards credit card to pay. Some of the hotels offer a bonus of 20,000 points, etc for staying at those select hotels. Do those bonus points get applied to the companion pass points? Or only the actual points for money spent on the hotel?

Also, can you redeem any points while trying to earn the companion pass, or do you have to have 110,000+ points in your account at the time of being awarded? And does it take away any points when you recieve a companion pass? Or do you have all those points you've earned available to redeem at anytime then? Thanks so much!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Companion Pass

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@christyb27wrote:

I am working towards earning the companion pass for 2018/2019 and I was looking at some of the restrictions and I didn't know if anyone knew the answer....

So we have booked several trips/hotels through the southwest website, and then used out southwest rapid rewards credit card to pay. Some of the hotels offer a bonus of 20,000 points, etc for staying at those select hotels. Do those bonus points get applied to the companion pass points? Or only the actual points for money spent on the hotel?

Also, can you redeem any points while trying to earn the companion pass, or do you have to have 110,000+ points in your account at the time of being awarded? And does it take away any points when you recieve a companion pass? Or do you have all those points you've earned available to redeem at anytime then? Thanks so much!

1. Bonus points aren't necessarily credited towards CP, but I've seen several posts on this forum that hotel booking through the Southwest family of websites has counted. 20,000 sounds like a lot though.
  2. Redeem away, it is totally separate about your balance of points to use comapred to the balance of points that you have earned for tier qualifying - redeeming points as you earn them doesn't affect your year-to-date qualifying total.
  3. No, the tier qualification for CP is based on how many points you earned in the calendar year, not your actual balance at any time. Points are available to redeem as you earn them.
Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.